Chapter 7

Kaylee's POV

School seemed weird to go to now.

I mean, I wasn't going to graduate whether I actually went or not.

However,  I needed normalcy in my life.

Even though that was literally impossible right now.

I got dressed for school and after a breakfast of waffles and syrup, I headed to my bike.

I turned my bike's speakers and put on 'my favourite things' by pentatonix.

I followed Kirstie's solo because I loved how they sang.

The song also always made me feel better.

I parked at my usual spot at school dismounted my bike, taking off my helmet and shaking off my curls.

Chelsea ran over to me and hugged me tightly.

"Hey girl." She said, hugging me so tightly I started feeling lightheaded.

"Can't breathe." I whispered.

She let go of me and studied me.

Thank God I'm black.

She couldn't tell how pale I was immediately.

I still felt slightly dizzy but I was okay.

I didn't need her to worry about me.

"So Annie got team captain right?" I asked and she nodded.

"Come on, let's get this day over with." She teased and I followed her in.

When I got to my locker and opened it, I got the a surprise instead.

It was a letter.

I raised my eyebrow in confusion as I saw a small wrapped box with the gift.

I opened it and saw the dog tag.

The memory burned in my mind.

**********************
"I'm nervous." I said, looking at Kai worriedly.

He nodded.

"I am too. I mean, I've wanted to try out for the soccer team since forever." He agreed.

"What if we don't make it?" I asked, hugging my knees closer to my body.

He raised his head up from the homework he had been doing.

We where at my house, his parents weren't home as usual and Elle, his nanny had gone out so I'd invited him over.

"You'll get into the cheer team Kay,  you're probably the most flexible and cheery girl I know."

I smiled and blushed a bit.

I might have just been a kid in the seventh grade, but Kai had a way of making me feel invincible.

"Then you'll be the best goalkeeper ever Kai. I promise."

He looked at me and smiled, his grey eyes twinkling and looking so much lighter.