Chapter 11

song suggestion
drivers license by olivia rodrigo

I tried to grab on to anything that I could find, but I felt helpless. His grip was tight around my wrist but I had a feeling he was going to drop me depending on my answer.  

I felt my feet dangle above the shallow river. I tried to look into his eyes whilst I struggled. I tried to find any hope in his eyes, but then I saw his mouth form a sly smile. He looked like he was about to laugh, while I felt tears running down my cheeks.  

“So princess?” He laughed as he made his grip tighter on my wrist.

“Pull me up!” I shouted. My body felt heavy and my feet were dangling erratically trying to do something. My wrist was on fire from his harsh grip.

“Are you going to help!”He asked again.  

Everything is riding on this answer, I thought to myself. 

“Yes, yes I'll help.” I said as I could feel his grip getting weaker now.

“Good.” He commented. 

He pulled me up with ease. I pulled my legs to my chest trying to regain some balance of some sort. I was crying fairly hard because I couldn’t believe what Luca had just done.  

“Stop crying.” He stated as he looked at the tears forming in my eyes. 

“Are you serious?” I questioned. How did he not expect me to cry. Did he think I was going to be fine being dangled off a bridge and being forced to participate in a mafia group.

“Come on Arabella.” He started. A glimpse of guilt flooded through his eyes but he immediately shook it off.

“No, I want to go home.” I said, still crying. My hands were hot from earlier and my face was wet from the tears that kept escaping from my eyes.

He didn’t respond but he stood up from the spot that he had been sitting in. I followed behind him still not being able to process what had just occurred. I played the moment back in my head. How could everything go downhill so fast? 

“Luca-” I began. 

“Look you don’t want to talk about it right now. Well talk later..” He said. 

We got into the car and we stayed silent. 

I played with my fingers while staying quiet. I didn’t want to talk to him, I didn’t want to ever see him again. But, I can't let him tell everyone about me, I couldn't risk it.  

“What does this mean?” I asked. I was confused if this was actually reality. Him not mentioning it made me think that he might’ve been joking but with the lok he had in his eyes earlier, I doubt it. 

“What are you saying?” He began as he fiddled with the rings that laid on his fingers.

“The Mafia, me. How does it work?” I asked. 

“Well, I'll have to make sure everything is ready to go before our actual mission but between then and now we need to get ready.” Luca explained. 

“What do you mean, get ready.” I asked. I still was trying to wrap the thoughts around my brain. It occurred to me a few times today that I was dreaming but sadly I wasn’t.

“Train.” He said blankly. 

The wheels began to spin rapidly in my head. Train? Train, what exactly am I doing if i need to train. We sat there for a while still not speaking a word to each other before we finally got into the city.