a special thanksgiving

chapter ten

chapter ten

Flying through cities such as Boston to Reston, Nina boarded a flight to Chicago for Thanksgiving. As soon the plane went up into the air, she instantly fell into slumber due to the exhaustion from cases and plane rides. With the holiday and reuniting with family gave her a partial mental break of cases after several months nonstop. Eliana embarked to go all out with food this year since her eldest will be returning for Thanksgiving for the first time in three years.

The flight wasn't long being almost three hours till landing. When Nina picked up her luggage, she received a text notification. It was late evening in Chicago by the time she came out to search through the cars and people walking in and out of the airport.

Her brown orbs spotted the short haired brunette leaning against her car. A smile matched their faces once locking eyes. "Your car service awaits, special agent Shi." Erin greeted in a teasing tone.

Both women erupted in laughter before embracing one another. "Thanks for picking me up." Nina said, placing her luggage in the trunk. "I'm sure you'd rather go back home after a long day working a case of drinking at the bar with your team as usual."

"You know I would drop anything for you. Besides, the night is still young and I'm sure you could use a drink after all that flying and cases." The detective tilted her head while sporting a smirk upon her lips. She shut the trunk and motioned the raven-haired woman to the passenger side to leave the airport.

After dropping off the luggage at Christopher's apartment, the duo arrived at Molly's which usually reeled in crowds in the evening. Erin nodded off to the barista known as one of the firefighters at Firehouse 51 in passing—not without signaling to serve up two drinks. She guided Nina where her team resided in the bar.

Once noticed by the members of the Intelligence Unit, they braced warm smiles and hollers as they approached the table.

"So, this was what you meant about the important package to pick up." Adam eyed at Nina hugging Alvin, smirking. Both Kim and Jay slapped his arms causing Antonio and Kevin to chuckle.

Erin mouthed a 'thank you' at her partner and the brunette while she received the drinks. She passed a drink to her friend. "Welcome back, special agent Shi." Kevin poked at the woman in a formal tone.

"Funny," She deadpanned. "However, special agent Shi is back in D.C. I, Nina Shi, am here to relax and be work free for the week."

Few rounds of drinks later, the group immersed in conversation until each member started to depart one by one. Erin couldn't stay too long since she had a dinner date with the little girl she saved from a case at her foster family's home. Jay and Nina agreed to the idea of staying back as he offered to drop the woman instead of the brunette, so she didn't have to make a whole trip.

"I'm happy to see you out of your sling," Jay mused, noting the BAU agent recovered from her injury since he last saw her.

Nina suppressed a giggle, "More relieved now I don't need to ask for help anymore. Also, lessen my boss' worries on the job. How you've been?"