prologue

Another day in the city of Chicago's weather inevitably slight breeze air as a crowd of bodies in either funeral attire or police uniforms at the cemetery, surrounding the loss of another officer in the force

Another day in the city of Chicago's weather inevitably slight breeze air as a crowd of bodies in either funeral attire or police uniforms at the cemetery, surrounding the loss of another officer in the force. Loud sobs erupt from a mother's loss of her only child, while in the arms of her sorrowful husband, undertaking the pain simultaneously to be the strongest of the pair. As the priest commences the last of his dialogue of the service, eyes travel to the frame of Chicago's own, late Sheldon Jin. Reports identify the man was murdered and left in an abandoned area of town. The investigation is ongoing as the death of the young detective is unknown to who would have an apparent motive.

Sheldon Jin was a son, a friend, a brother, and a colleague. He served his time as a detective by enabling his expertise of tech to track down the criminals for the Intelligence Unit. People knew how much he loved his parents and friends. He loved his job. Gone too soon as several people thought when the news spread of his death.

Isolating from the crowd fulfilling of sadness and grief, Nina Shi blew through her lips beneath the shade of a tall tree. She rubs her arms that were cover underneath her black coat. She had forgotten how rare the sun shines from the clouds' barriers in Chicago, sometimes. Her heart filled with regret of the missed opportunities to visit the old family friend. She had wished she took the initiative to speak to Sheldon- have possible comprehension of what would've led him to a fresh grave. Flying in and out of every other state every week to solve cases with the BAU and fixating the damaging parts of her life. Nina's social life briefly dissolved, losing contact with those outside the BAU purposely.

Removing her sunglasses to wipe the few tears that were brimming, she felt daring eyes upon her. Lifting her head, Nina came in instant contact with the blue orbs that was easily spotted in the dark attire crowd. She exhales deeply, relishing the attention before leaving the premises of the finished service.

As hours dwindled into the night from the service, Nina necessarily driven to the nearest bar Molly's. She couldn't withstand hiding back in her hotel room all day. She felt the need to be surrounded by others if that meant strangers than her own family. Nobody knew about her abrupt visit after three years straying away from her hometown. There would be some sort of commotion in which she refused to deal with at the moment. 

Upon the news of Sheldon's death, she chose to come back to pay her respects. 

Arriving at Molly's, familiar faces of the police force were amongst the crowd from the service earlier in the day, figuring that Molly's was the hotspot for them.

She occupied the empty stool at the counter, opting for a Mai Tai to the barista. As soon as the alcohol touched her lips, her shoulders fell into relaxation. Sinking into the peaceful company of one for thirty minutes, a new figure accompanies the lonely woman in the empty stool beside her.

Placing the glass on the coaster, "Ah, Mr. mysterious blue eyes, I've been waiting for you." Nina's eyes slowly waver at the handsome man in his uniform from the funeral service. The corners of her lips tug upward at the furrowing expression he held by her words. A giggle erupts from her lips. "You've been sitting at that table eyeing me since I came inside. Not doing a fair job detective."

The blue-eyed man exhaled in disbelief, "Wow. Do I sound like a creep?" Chuckling out in embarrassment, his cheeks reddened causing him to briefly avert from her gaze.

She hummed, placing her finger on her chin. "I think you've answered that yourself." She watched him order them drinks after he noted her empty glass.

"You're observant as well. Might've caught me off guard." He leaned back a little to take in the beautiful woman sitting in front of him. Nina would likely agree of being captivated by his appearance as well.

She swallowed the liquid of alcohol. "I get that a lot." She added with a sly smirk. "Did you work with Sheldon?" Asked out of curiosity.

He shortly nodded, "Yeah, in the Intelligence Unit. He was a great guy and one hell of a tech expert. What about you?"

"Family friend."

"Why were you all alone and not standing with everyone else?" He questioned ever since looking over his shoulder to see the lonesome woman that kept herself several feet away.

She shyly looked down at her lap. "Like you said, I'm observant of crowds." She lied, biting down her lip. She solely was peering for a person who killed her family friend. Knowingly, the murderer would've made an appearance. "Is that the only reason you were curious..." Her eyes innocently glance up as she trailed off, hitting her that the two haven't exchanged their names.

"Jay. Jay Halstead." The nameless man now introduced himself with a bright grin, extending his hand.

She contemplated in revealing her identity, though this past hour of conversing with a stranger sparked a smile that hasn't been displaying for some time- ignited a small light inside. Also, sharing a fake name wouldn't hurt when she's due to depart to Washington D.C. Neither of the two strangers were going to cross paths after tonight.

"Rose." She gladly reciprocated to his handshake.

Jay raised his brow, "No last name?"

She leaned on her elbow, staring at him. "I don't want you searching me up, detective." Her lips graced into a mischievous smile.

As the night never seems to end, the conversation kept entertaining between Jay and Nina. The drinks were coming, and the laughter of the two was emitting in the almost spacious bar. Nina couldn't remember the last time of thoroughly allured in one's company. This became an adrenaline rush for her with a handsome man by her side. Eventually, the two made it out of the bar and into the cold Chicago wind as the moon beams brightly on them. When her back hit the brick walls with Jay closing in the space between the two, she uttered a shaky breath. He caressed his thumb upon her cheek, moving the strand of her hair back. The lust that grew and was restraint in their eyes explodes when their lips crash.

Soon, the two went from standing outside in front of the bar in the cold to behind closed doors of a hotel room.

WRITTEN: 5/17/20
PUBLISHED: 11/23/20