living in the present

chapter seventeen

chapter seventeen

Sunlight peeked through the blinds where Nina stirred in bed then fluttered her brown irises open the early morning. She casted to the side of the bed appearing vacant. The comforter had been thrown off and a pair of feet settled on the wooden floor. She shuffled into the connected bathroom of the bedroom not without slipping an oversized shirt in passing.

By the time she stepped out into the corridor, a humming melody echoed from the kitchen. Nina's lips tightened the giggles urging to emerge and instead tugged a smile following the sound. She arrived at the room to discover Jay too immersed in his own world to acknowledge her presence. He moved around between the stove to the island establishing two plates for breakfast.

A typical morning like this within the past year were her favorite.

Nina and Jay remained strong in the first year of their relationship. Taking a risk to embrace a relationship was still nowhere near regretful for Nina. Sure, minor roadblocks occurred between the couple. Long distance being the least of their worries. It was the struggle to open up about her past, more specifically the time Jay was kidnapped undercover and injured. There were moments to where doubts infiltrated in her head merely about herself.

However, throughout the year Jay made her feel loved. He was patient when she felt ready to share the past that taunted her: the loss of Brandon and their first unborn child. Even if Jay wasn't able to promise there would be a repeat of that tragedy for them. He let it be known that her past shouldn't define the present nor future. Nina trusted him because the way his eyes shown to have compassion for her and their relationship. Let alone everyone from her family and their friends seen it.

As she confided in him, it encouraged him to entail his past in the Rangers as it's always been hard for him to discuss with anyone. He couldn't hide it any longer since those nightmares would occur every now and then startling his girlfriend. At his breaking point, he cried in her arms one night.

It was a breath of fresh air once unloading their past demons and trusting each other.

You could say, they were meant to be the broken puzzle pieces to fit together. Nina's little sister, Camille has commented that she's never seen her older sister utterly in love or at least genuinely happy in years.

When Jay finally perked up, his eyes locked with the woman leaning against the wall. "How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough," She licked her lips, advancing towards him. "I thought I could enjoy the view per usual."

The couple greeted with a delightful kiss.

"I love the shirt by the way." Jay scanned at his shirt worn by his girlfriend moving away to pour herself a cup of coffee.

"Thanks, though I bet you like it on the floor." Nina elicited a mischievous smile, darting at him while sipping her cup.

Basking in the peaceful morning at the table with their breakfast, Jay spoke up. "So...there's this great place I've checked out." He stared intently as Nina listened along. "You know, two bedrooms, washing machine, dryer, underground parking."