reset button

chapter fifteen

In the last month, Nina's work has jetted her to California, Maryland, Texas, Wisconsin and even far as Barbados. You could say these loads of cases distracted her about the strain relationship with a certain detective based in Chicago. However, she is brought back to her hometown after hearing the loss the Intelligence Unit endured.

Nadia.

She briefly crossed paths with the young woman and hung around a few times with Erin. She saw how much she meant to her friend considering being brought under her wing. The information of what led to this tragedy was heart wrenching.

Nadia was a young woman, who changed her life around under Erin's great influence. Soon enough saw a new outlook of a promising future. Although, the future can be unpredictable by one swift of an event or a second.

Landing in Chicago, Nina wanted to check in with Erin. They've spoken on the phone for a bit prior to her arrival. Erin insisted to stay back in D.C. instead of wasting a flight to see her. Of course, her friend didn't listen and went ahead like the time the brunette popped in at her place when she dealt with her losses.

Christopher was spotted in front of his car outside of the airport to pick up his older sister.

Both Shi siblings engulfed each other for this little reunion before Christopher took the luggage to place in the trunk.

"How was your flight? Considering you've been on an endless amount over the last couple of months." He snorted, slowly merging into the lane away from the airport pick up site.

A laugh left Nina's mouth, casting her eyes out the window. "Wasn't terrible. I didn't have to be debriefed in about any cases prior the landing. Let alone the flight from D.C. to here isn't that long." She reverted to her younger brother who kept his focus on the road. "Thank you for picking me up though."

"Always. Camille wanted to come but it seems your pick times aren't convenient for a teenage girl in high school." He joked.

"She'll see me when she gets off from school. Unless she has something going on with school after." She shrugged. "I kind of lost track." She admitted, unable to recall the number of clubs the youngest Shi sibling enrolled.

"Well, she takes after someone." He narrowed, sporting a tiny smirk.

Like many people have told their parents, Camille is a carbon copy of Nina. Though it never became bothersome to either sister or overshadow the youngest Shi sibling's identity. Sure, Nina made a notable mark at school as to the teenage girl creating hers in a different way.

In addition, Nina always relieved the pressure of her siblings to not let the outside noise get to them. As well as their parents have done too, loving each of their children individually.