strangers no more

chapter two

chapter two

At the Sergeant desk, Trudy Platt stood behind signing through paperwork when Nina arrived at the 21st district. "Hi, I'm Nina Shi, here for Hank Voight." Trudy amusingly eyed the woman and then retreated to the paperwork. She instinctively acknowledged the judgment radiating from the older woman.

Nina's lips curved into a smirk, slightly intrigued. She propped her elbows on the counter, "I can tell you're not fond of visiting police, let alone FBI agents." She kissed her teeth.

"Are you psychic or something?" Trudy appeared unpleased, raising her gaze from the paperwork to offer her full attention.

Laughter slipped from her lips, "One, I'm a profiler. Two, I can recall the time you were telling me, the little girl in pigtails about it." She cheekily winked, waiting for Trudy's demeanor changing after rummaging through her memories. The older woman blinked, finally recognized the now grown-up Shi girl.

"Oh God, don't tell me the dementia is starting. How could I not recognize you, Nina Shi?" Sergeant Platt utterly dumbfounded. "You're grown up, so gorgeous from the last I saw you. Let me buzz you upstairs. Also, don't leave until you tell me everything." Trudy insisted upon hearing Nina's life in the FBI. The Shi woman spare a smile filling with gratitude, once she turned away- her lips pressed into a thin line upon Trudy's last remark.

When she ascended to the bullpen, silence carried within the room with the members of the unit scrambling around to resolve the pieces of their current case, according to her observation, pinning at the whiteboard filling up of suspects and markings to add up. After much internal frustration transpiring, Erin Lindsay paused from searching for a break in the case by Nina's figure emerging from the staircase. "Nina Shi?" Clearly stunned in calling out the woman's name which gained the rest of the team's attention navigated at the new visitor.

Erin abruptly rose to her feet, approaching to Nina in a quick matter. "Erin Lindsay." The latter greeted one another in their small heartfelt reunion.

Alvin Olinsky etched a large grin, one that is unforeseeable by his colleagues. He paved a way to join the duo from his desk after Erin. "I forgot the last time I've seen you. Being the big shot FBI agent in Quantico." He exaggerated in awestruck of the woman he acknowledged as family.

"Unable to let go of that hat, Uncle O?" Nina poked at the tall man, who bashfully glared at the woman.

"What are you doing here, anyway?" Erin curiously inquired, beaming at her dear old friend. As enjoyable the surprise, she hasn't seen her around Chicago nor dare to think would make an appearance.

Another voice intervened the reunion, "She's here to see me." Hank Voight came out of his office with a wide grin. Receiving a call from his goddaughter, he was taken back since it's been a long time other than him checking up on her every month. He cleared his throat, "Everyone this is Nina Shi, my goddaughter, her father is Jimmy Shi. My old partner from the Gang Unit, remember we worked with his vice squad in the Chinatown." He slung his arm over Nina's shoulders. "Hardworking like her father, she works in the BAU for the FBI."