moving forward

chapter twelve

Shots fired in the shooting range where Nina and Erin went for a round. As soon as Nina finished hers, she peered over quite impressed with her friend's results. The woman dropped her gun and exhausted a huff while removing the noise canceling headphones. "Federal task isn't like Intelligence. They're slick." She mentioned out of the sheer of nerves radiating.

Nina supported the idea of taking the opportunity into the federal task force when Erin first brought it up. To be recruited is a dream for anyone in this field. Let alone be recognized for the hard work paid off, especially for the brunette who has strived through obstacles that is her life.

"True. You're just anxious stepping into this new job, Erin." The raven-haired woman noted the weary expression on the brunette's face. "Everyone is nervous going into a new job or place. Take myself for example, remember when I was a nervous wreck before my first case with the BAU unit? I threw up prior to entering the private jet."

She narrowed, "I've known you for many years, and you've gone beyond anyone's expectations. Just keep your head down and work hard as usual."

Erin formed a small smile by the woman's assurance, "This is the right move for me, right?"

"Of course!" Nina exclaimed. "They wouldn't have gone through the lengths to recruit you. Now, let's finish this last round because I'm starving." She swiftly turned into her lane and placed her noise canceling headphones on.

Meanwhile, the brunette shook her head and pressed her lips together before doing the same. Both women raised their guns and began shooting towards their targets.

"Guess who I ran into the other day?" Nina enthused as the duo were settled in a booth at a diner after finishing up at the shooting range. "Darren Townes." She curved her lips into a smirk to see any reaction spark from her friend sitting across the table. 

Back in high school, as Nina's name flown with the popular crowd. She crossed paths with Darren Townes an all-around athlete at the school and good friend of hers. He wasn't a typical asshole type of jock. He actually had a heart of gold. One of the reasons many girls were head over heels for him, pretty cliché. Erin wasn't entertained about the jock and the parade that trailed after him. Until a day in History class the two were partnered for a small activity. After exchanging banter with the boy, she became one of those girls falling for him. While baffled over this crush, Nina found it adorable being her friend's first one. 

However, Erin completely swept it under the rug. She believed Darren wouldn't like her along with her baggage. More to the fact she had been bullied due to her background story unveiled. Despite Darren remaining friendly with Erin, she intended to keep her feelings tucked away.

Unfortunately, it became more difficult when they ended up at the police academy. Nina may have called it fate, yet Erin argued against it. Fantasizing about romance deemed to be something that never plagued her mind considering she didn't have healthy relationships to witness growing up. Bunny dated around, bringing these low life guys home like her abusive stepdad at the time.