icing on the cake

chapter four

chapter four

The hardest part of the job is confiding in the victim's families after grasping the news of a loved one's death. The wave sadness and emptiness as tears uncontrollably wash down their faces. It felt like something punctured into their hearts, tearing it down in the middle. One day your life seems to be content in a harmless route, then the next, an individual snatches up the life of someone you loved. 

Nina and her team sometimes couldn't feel a bit helpless to explain to the families why their loved ones were targeted due to a serial killer's logical mindset. The Shi woman, herself, was in the exact position of Dan Chen's wife, losing her husband from an individual's human behavior that appears irrational and strange. She observed, Amy Chen, persisting to remain resilient in front of her 13-year-old twin boys beside her in a room at the Seattle police station.

Tears were spilling endlessly when her eyes reached the gaze of the one informing the news to which she already confirmed from the hollowness in her stomach. "...I'm sorry, Nina. He's gone." As those words became an affirmation to her ears, her hands shakily clutched onto the white sheets.

Nina bit down her lip, rubbing her thumb and index finger on the ring in her necklace. "Again, my condolences to you and your family, Mrs. Chen."

"Thank you." The new widow pressed her lips into a thin line. "I-I can't comprehend why someone would hurt my husband that way." She admitted upon hearing strangulation caused by her husband's death, left on the side of the road in front of her sons.

"Um, did your husband have any enemies or colleagues?" 

Amy shook her head, repetitively. "Dan was a good husband and father." She strongly declared to the agent. "He was always a hard worker to take care of this family, even would go to lengths for his friends and colleagues." 

Nina diverted from the mother to the quiet twin boys across from her. "How was your relationship with your father?"

The two boys share a hesitant glance before one spoke, "Our dad did everything to give us a good life, even try to get to our practices and games."

"Although he can be tough on our academics." The second boy added on. "But, understandable to be fair."

After her interview with the Chen family, Nina descended from the staircase to meet Aaron and JJ in the conference room. She sighed when she enters the room, setting down her folder on the table. "Did you get anything?" He switched from JJ to Nina.

"No enemies seemed loved." She simply answered about the victim's character.

The blonde furrowed at the potential coincidence, "Same with Joe Hazley. Does Dan Chen have any children?"

 "Two 13-year-old twin boys, says their father was tough yet fair."

"That could be our connection." JJ pointed out to the two. "Joe Hazley was mentoring a kid the same age, who he was also tough on."