the art of letting go

chapter eleven

chapter eleven

Nina exited out of the elevator carrying her bag in one hand and keys to unlock her apartment in the other. She flew in late at night after closing another case in Salt Lake City. The keys had dropped into the marble bowl while the bag positioned against the wall. She made the beeline to the kitchen as she craved for a glass of wine and some stir fry to end the night.

With the recent case involving a teenage girl kidnapped with her older brother by their uncle, urged Nina to call up Camille. Cases like this led her to find comfort in her younger sister's voice. Especially seeing the fright in the young girl's eyes after experiencing much trauma in the last few days. To lessen the frantic girl's worries, she had assured the older brother was found alive and is receiving treatment at the hospital. One of the best parts of her job is seeing family members reunite in each other's arms.

The Shi sisters shared a couple of laughs on the phone. Camille vented to her older sister about school and student council festivities. Nina guaranteed it'll al play out in her favor and in no time, they'll be lounging at home together with their baked cookies this Christmas.

Eventually the call ended as Camille had to resume to her studies and get ready for bed. Nina settled on the couch with her meal and glass to turn on a rerun of the "Golden Girls."

In the middle of the episode, her phone rang on the coffee table. Her hand reached for the device and then pressed answer at the sight of the name of the caller.

"Hello, Jay Halstead."

She couldn't see it, but the man slightly tugged a grin at the sound of her voice. "I prefer "Detective Hottie" if you don't mind." He spoke with sarcasm.

"That's a hard pass but I'm sure Penelope won't mind using it. Regardless that's your nickname for her." She giggled out then paused the show. "So, I'm guessing you're off the clock?"

He pressed his phone against his cheek to slip into his jacket and grabbed his keys on his desk. "Yeah, how about you? Back home?"

Nina hummed, bringing the glass to her lips. "Got home about two hours ago. I'm sitting here with my stir fry and wine while watching my favorite, the "Golden Girls.""

"Well, I can't wait to whine down with a beer and takeout." He replied, descending the staircase from the bullpen. When the woman started to respond, yelling in the background astounded her. So much commotion could be heard on the other line which caused her to furrow.

"Jay?"

Forgotten about the woman on the phone after receiving intel of the current situation, he quickly responded. "Sorry, I gotta go."

Later that night, Nina finished her meal and cleaned up the kitchen. The phone conversation with Jay never left her mind. She called her father to dismiss the curiosity if he heard something. According to him, an officer at Hank's precinct had been shot during a house call.