Chapter 22: Caged

"I don't think she needs more bodyguards," Tita Stasia argued with the head of security from the Zakaria's Royal Guards.

"Just let them be," my mom told her sister. "Ephraim is worried for his girlfriend so it's only natural for him to send his men for extra security."

"These many?!" Sambit ni Tita. "This would only draw more attention, Cae!"

Hinilot ni Mommy ang kanyang sentido. "Ephraim said they'll be in their casual clothes and will blend into the crowd. They are trained, Stasia."

"How about while she's at work?" Masungit na tugon ng aking tiyahin.

"Stasia, we have to trust his men. I'm sure he wouldn't allow just anyone to protect his girlfriend."

"If one of them could defeat any of my assassins, I'll allow them to escort Ieva," mayabang na sabi ng aking Tita.

Nailing na lamang ako sa kanilang usapan at tinanaw ang benteng mga men in black na nakapila sa labas ng bahay. Like what Ephraim said, he immediately sent his trusted men to keep an eye on me. Hindi nga lang matanggap ng Tita ko na may ibang magbabantay sa akin.

She obviously doesn't trust their skills. Pagdating nga agad ng mga ito'y hinanap agad ni Tita ang lider at hinamon ng suntukan. I'm just glad my mom's here to keep the situation in peace. Also, if Ate Sav and her kids aren't here, there would definitely be blood.

They say my Tita Stasia is brutal but I don't know how brutal she actually is. I've never seen her in an actual fight.

"Tita, braid," Cads, Kuya's eldest, asked cutely beside me. Ngumiti ako at sinunod ang kanyang gustong tirintas.

Hinayaan ko na lamang magtalo-talo sina Tita roon. I'm already too stressed to even deal with their unnecessary argument.

I let out a soft sigh. Sa kasalukuyan ay dito nila ako dinala sa isa sa mga property nila sa Manila. But it's better to stay here than go home in Olongapo. Malayo masyado iyon sa aking trabaho.

And as much as I want to stay in my own house, I can't. Until now kasi, reporters are roaming around the village. Hindi man sila pinapapasok, sigurado't may makakagawa't makakagawa ng paraan.

Why is life so cruel? Just when I'm starting to be independent, saka naman nagkaganto.

"Runaway and marry you." Ephraim's voice echoed inside my head while I was braiding Cads' long hair.

Kanina pa iyon paulit-ulit na sumasagi sa isip ko. He did caught me off guard when he asked me that earlier. His voice sounds so serious. Kahit pa sigurado akong alam niya na agad ang isasagot ko.

I know he has intentions to marry me. Ilang beses na niya iyong pinaalala at sinabi sa akin. And I have no problem at marrying him at all. I love him and I'd be willing to be his wife. I'd be more than happy to spend the rest of my life with him.

But to marry each other in between all this mess? While we're still both building ourselves? That's not very wise at all. We're just adding fuel to an already big flame.

Hindi lang kaming dalawa ang involved dito. It's about us and the future of the two kingdoms.

Naalala ko agad ang kwento ng lola ni Zafir. The princess and the knight might have had their own happy ending, but the effect of their actions to the people around them is not something they need to be proud of. It was indeed a selfish choice.

"We can't." Those two words were my reply to him. Of course, I have to be rational. Refusing his offer is our best choice.

"You did not even hesitate," he said that with a soft laugh. And then a sigh came after. "I just love you so much..."