Chapter 23: Rightful Heir

"It's past lunch time!" Pagod na sabi ni Daddy pagpasok ng bahay. He removed the cap he's wearing and slumped down the couch.

"Have you eaten, Ieva?" My mom asked when she noticed me.

Kakagaling ko lang sa kusina para kumuha ng afternoon snacks. Mag aalas dos na kasi at sinabi ni Zafir na tatawag na siya.

"Yes, mommy. Kayo po ba?"

"Hindi pa," my dad answered in a whiny tone.

"Why, dad? Traffic?"

"An accident," my mom said briefly. I was waiting for more kwento pero hindi na ito nagsalita. She really does fail as a chismosa!

If ang isa sa dalawa kong maingay na tita ito, baka pati pinaka-minor na detail ay nasabi na.

"Sa crossing, Ieva," Dad added, as if it would feed my curiosity. He scratched the back of his head. "Madalas talagang may magkabanggaan roon."

That's true. Palagi kasing sira ang traffic lights sa parteng iyon kaya madalas na nagreresulta sa collision. I was about to ask more but my phone rang. Tumatawag na si Zafir.

"You should go back to your room now, Ieva," Mommy urged. "Kakain lang kami ng lunch."

Tumango na lamang ako at nagmamadaling bumalik sa kwarto para sagutin ang tawag ni Zafir.

"Bagal mo," reklamo agad nito pagkasagot ko ng tawag.

"You're so grumpy," I teased. He clicked his tongue bago ibahin ang view ng kanyang camera. I smiled wide when I saw the line of artworks before me.

"This is where it starts. It's a collaboration of me and four more artists. I'm assigned with canvas acrylic painting habang ang iba naman ay sa sculpture on wood or stone, photography and oil painting," he introduced. "Would you like to start at the beginning o diretso na tayo sa gawa ko?"

"I want to see all!" Excited kong sabi. It's been a while since I last saw an art exhibition so I feel really ecstatic.

"The title of the exhibition is Where Your Feet Stands," he added while showing me the promotional poster of their exhibit. It's a photo of a boy, standing on the middle of a river.

Zafir went ahead and told me everything about the artworks. Unang collection ay mga litratong kuha ng isang kilalang young photographer. It's a display of photos of four children swimming. One in a sea, one in a river, in a pool at may isa pang nasa batya .

Both of the child in the sea and the river have their parents happily cheering for them at the bank. Pinipicturan nila ang anak nila habang nag eenjoy roon. Ang bata namang naliligo sa maliit na batya ay kasama ang nanay niya sa gilid at sinusubuan ito ng turon.

I noticed how in all photos, the children looks happy, aside from the girl swimming in a pool.

She was swimming in a large pool at what it seems like their backyard. Two people who looks like her parents were busy doing something with their laptops. She doesn't look happy at all.Her face were contorted and it looks like she's asking her parents to pull her out of the pool. On one of the tables, there was her iPad, and other expensive toys.

"He calls his collection, Guide," Zafir said. I was amazed how the photographer showed how the support or the time spent of the parents with their children, affects the child's state of mind.

Ang environment kung saan lumalaki ang bata ay nakakaapekto sa kung paano nito maappreciate ang mga bagay na ineenjoy ng kanyag mga kaedad. I personally think it's a good message, but like any art, the meaning of the piece depends on how the viewer sees it. I may have a different interpretation than the others, or the artist himself.