Chapter 4 - "Celluloid of love and hate..."

Nandini keeps on splattering water on her blotched and swollen face. She is rubbing her lips vigorously as she wants to remove some filth from her skin.

"I hate you, Manik. I hate you. Your touch on my skin feels like a burning sensation. I wish I could cut my limbs out of my body where your filthy hands and lips touched. I wish I could burn them."

She hisses out.

"Then burn your whole body because he was everywhere. Have you forgotten those nights when he was there? He not only touched your skin, your entire body but also touched your heart...your soul. He was there. He will be there..."

Someone whispers in her ears. She knows it is her rebel inner self. Somehow, she can't control her.

"Noooo....I haven't forgotten anything. And that's the problem. I want to forget. But he...his memories don't allow me to forget how he played with my body, with my emotion. How can I forget that he made me his on the same bed where he perhaps fucks numerous people? How can I forget that for him those nights were his triumphs on my body and soul? Every night he literally raped me behind his mask of love. And today he did the same thing. He just wanted to prove how weak and helpless I am in front of him. Any time anywhere he can play with my body and emotion. Why? Why he still affects me so much?"

Nandini mumbles with sobbing.

"Because you let your heart affect your brain. If he is trying to make you weak why don't you turn the table? Play the same game with him. Just show how tremendous actress you are. You want to cut the limbs he once touched! Then cut your heart first. Cut your heart from all the emotions it carries for him and then play the game with your brain. Be an actress in your real life too. Show him that nothing can affect you. Especially his presence, his touch or his emotional game. Be the Nandini Murthy...the finest actress."

Nandini stands eyes to eyes with her reflection in the mirror. Her inner voice is still resonating in her ears. She wipes her face with the towel and comes out of the washroom. Suddenly a frolic voice jolts her,

"Hey, Ms Meryl Streep. Please show some mercy on this poor Producer. I am literally waiting for you for almost half an hour. Don't throw your star tantrum at me at least. I am your best friend after all."

Nandini looks at Arnav who is sitting on the chair in front of the mirror. Nandini's eyes automatically move at the vanity car door. She takes a deep breath. The door is locked. Arnav knows how privacy is important for Nandini.

"Star tantrum! Really? For that, someone has to be a star and for your kind information, I don't fit that category. So, here I am at your mercy instead. Let me correct the line...A poor needy, who is struggling with her sinking career, a faded actress needs the mercy of a renowned producer like you. I am lucky that you still consider me as your best friend."

The bitterness and sarcasm are evident in Nandini's tone. For a moment Arnav keeps on staring at his best friend. Gradually a smile peeps at his lips.

"Good, that you still consider me as your best friend. Or else you would have never shown your anger and frustration to me. Now tell me who is the reason? Let me guess....Manik?"

.....................................................

Manik is still lying supine on the couch. But right now, his eyes are not fixed on the TV screen. Instead, they are vacantly placed somewhere. It is clear that he is just physically present here; his mind is somewhere else.

"There is so much hatred in your eyes, Nandu. You don't know how it stabs my heart. I so wanted to hold you in my arms the way I used to do. I so wanted to see the same love in your eyes that I used to see at that time. Where was that time lost? Why can't we be the same again?"

Manik mumbles under his breath and exhales a deep sigh. Suddenly a light knock is heard on the vanity door. Manik rubs his tired eyes and permits in a virile voice,

"Come in..."

In the next moment, a vibrant, super energetic person barges in. Manik looks at the frame and wobbles in disbelieve,

"So, you finally sniffed my place and came here to irritate me! Komi, why can't you just give me a break? I am fed up with your spying friendship."

His tone is tired yet admonishing. Komi aka Komolika Khanna giggles at his reaction and without any hesitation occupies the leftover space under Manik's leg on the couch.

"Spying friendship! Hmmm...a totally new word. I will search for it on google later. But right now, I have come here to ask you something. Since you were not picking up my call for the last 24 hours, I had to spy on you, had to know your shooting location and had to come here. Any problem? And if you have any problem, I don't care."

Komolika shrugs and speaks out casually. Manik observes her for a moment and sits squarely with a jolt.

"If I was not picking up the call that means I don't want to talk to you. Why can't you understand?"

Komolika gazes at him and purses her lips. With a soft tone, she replies,

"I can understand but I can't leave you alone with your problems. Tell me, what happened? Okay, let me guess. As this movie has Nandini as the heroine, it must be related to her only. Now tell me, what is the problem? Is she denying cooperating with you? I mean in the shooting is it getting hard for you both to shoot?"

All of a sudden, the old bitter spark beams at Manik's eyes.

"Getting hard? We are hardcore professionals Komi. We can easily hide our emotions in front of the camera lens. But somehow our heroine is not being able to keep her professional and personal life separate."

He smirks when says ruefully.

"And the reason is you. Why can't you let her live her life, Manik? It's high time. Move on.."

Komolika frowns and utters restlessly.

"Because I haven't done with her yet. No...and why are you being so benevolent towards her? Have you forgotten what did she do with you? Sorry..you can forgive her but I can't. She has to be punished."

Manik mouths determinedly.

"Punished! Will her punishment bring you back your peace? Her love for you? Manik, she is under a misunderstanding. And you are adding fuel to the fire."

Komolika tries to clear her words. Manik gets up from the couch and saunters to the mirror. Suddenly he looks at Komolika through the glass and says,

"Who knows her misunderstanding gets burnt by that fire!"

Author's Note: The lines in bold and Italic are the thought of the respective characters. Sorry for the late update as I was not well.