Chapter 5 - "Emotion over performance..."

"Pyaar ya Kalank...take 14....ACTION...."

The Director cries again. For the last 45 minutes, he has been trying to shoot a single scene between the lead roles, however, his all efforts went in vain. As the camera starts rolling, Manik aka Rajveer slowly removes the open tresses of Avantika aka Nandini from her bareback. The scene is romantic and needs high passion, as for the first time, the hero and heroine will kiss each other. Although filming kissing or even smooching scenes nowadays in Hindi cinema is not a very big deal and our films and society have quite grown up in this field projecting it aesthetically and passionately totally depend on the actors. Because, if the actors themselves are not convinced they can't portray it convincingly on the screen. Best onscreen kisses need lots of effort...behind the camera. Manik uncurtains Nandini's back which is wet. The deep 'U' shape back of the black blouse is making her silky-smooth white skin more prominent. Some strands of hair are still stuck to her skin. The droplets of water are looking like pearls on her buttery skin. For a moment, Manik becomes adrift in the beautiful view. He keeps on looking at her bareback. The Director prompts,

"Touch your lips on her shoulder and suck the water droplet. Then move your mouth towards her nape."

Like a spellbound puppet, Manik sinks his lips on Nandini's shoulder. His warm lips send a tremor to Nandini's spine. She shuts her eyes while tweaking the sides of her saree draped on her thighs.

"Very good Nandini...keep taking deep breaths..."

The Director whispers as he thought it was a part of her acting. However, in reality, Nandini's heart is pounding like a bellow. Manik forgets the prompt and spontaneously wraps his eager hands around her waist, skimming the fingers all over her naked dermis of her curves, following her deep navel. Along with this, he trails his lips towards her nape, giving more shiver to Nandini and finally stops at her earlobe. Here, he was supposed to peck her ear pinna lightly and in reaction, Nandini was supposed to flip so that, slowly they can proceed for the final osculation. However, as Manik was lost in the moment, he passionately laps her ear cartilage with the tip of his tongue. A soft moan let out Nandini's mouth. Instead of turning towards Manik, she slouches her body and tilts her head sidewards to give Manik more access to her skin. Till then, Manik is totally imprisoned at the moment. He starts giving frequent kisses on her nape and open back, making Nandini weak on her knees. She gradually bends forwards, seems like she is submitting her every pore to Manik. Her body feels like jelly.

"Cut... cut... cut.....what is this guys? It was supposed to be the first kiss of the main leads. Here you both are trying to make it their first lovemaking scene. Oh God...almost one hour and I couldn't take a single flawless shot. If you guys are not getting my point then why don't you discuss the scene in private and then get ready for the final take? Manik, you only told me that you don't have dates for the next week but if this goof-up continues then I am sorry, you have to manage your dates according to my schedule and Nandini, this is applicable to you too."

Director's annoyed words bring both the lovers...ummmmm no haters....no...actors...(actually like me, both of them are equally confused about the real state of their relationship) back to reality. Manik and Nandini eye each other embarrassingly and utter a soft sorry to the Director.

"Sir, just give me two minutes. I will be back and I assure you...the next take will be perfect."

Nandini says composedly and without looking to anyone rushes to her vanity. Manik looks around trying to figure out if any crew member has a different expression. Being satisfied he saunters at his vanity too. But in the middle way, his treacherous legs betray him and they change their direction to bring him to Nandini's vanity. As Nandini is about to shut the door of the van Manik stops it and almost forcibly enters.

"What the hell? Don't I have this much privacy?"

Nandini nearly yells.

"Sorry..."

However, Manik's abrupt surrender makes her halt.

"What?"

She utters in confusion as this word is too rare from the man who is now standing in front of her with a bend down head.

"I am sorry for being carried over in the set. But it was not intentional."

Manik admits with a clear voice which makes Nandini a bit uncomfortable. She can't figure out what she should say as her condition was the same. It was not at all acting for her. She turns to hide her flushed face.

"It's okay. It happens. We are humans."

She tries to conclude the topic.

"Nandini I know we have our differences but we also know that we are professionals and dedicated to our works. We shouldn't do anything that can affect our work. I think you have understood my point. Let's not bring our personal relationship between our works. It will affect our performances."

Manik's words immediately ignite the extinguished anger in Nandini's mind.

"What is he trying to say? I was spoiling his performance? On the contrary, he was taking advantage of the situation."

Her mind yells and she parts her mouth to articulate her mind, however, she spits something else which is enough to add fuel to Manik's anger.

"Personal relationship! I repeat it again, Mr Malhotra, we don't have any personal relationship. We are here to do our work and I will focus on that only. What happened on the set was unfortunate and I am regrating for that. Now please go. We have to shoot the scene perfectly today without any emotional carried away. (She air quotes the last three words). The whole unit is waiting for us. So, be professional, Mr superstar."

She counters sarcastically. For a moment, Manik keeps on staring at her. The gentleness of his eyes gradually changes to ferocity. He paces at her with slow yet determined steps. Nandini feels alarms and she retreats.

"You know whenever I make my mind to forgive you; you give me a new reason to continue this battle. Ms Murthy, you want to see my professionalism...right? Okay, I will show you that. Don't worry, our every scene will be so perfect or to be precise, so realistic that you never know you might get the best actress award this year."

Manik utters the words in a composed tone. However, the heat of his suppressed wrath is palpable when he traps her between the wall and his torso. Nandini helplessly eyes his stone-hard face.

"It's really unfortunate for you to have me as your costar. But, what to do? You have to bear, Ms actress. So, be professional."

He mimics her which hits her ears as a warning. She was about to react when the door of the vanity opens and a person suddenly steps in. From the behind, it seems to him as Manik is overpowering Nandini and might be kissing her forcibly. He sternly chides,

"Don't try to force her, Manik. She is not alone..."

Author's note: More intense scenes and heated arguments will be in the next chapter. Some past events will reveal. So, stay tuned.  😉😉😉