Chapter 10 -" The Showdown..."

The voice is quite familiar and nerve agitating. Nandini turns at the person and the sight makes her furrow the brows. Komolika Khanna is observing her with inquisitive eyes.

"Sorry...I didn't notice."

Nandini apologises in a haste and tries to pass her. However, Komolika's words again interrupt her pace.

"Sorry accepted but I thought you are supposed to accompany Manik to his home. At least Manik told me so. What happened? You both again fought on a silly matter?"

Something rips up in Nandini's heart. She flips with a jerk. Her eyes are searing with wrath.

"I am not any attendant of Manik. I didn't even know that you both discuss what I should do and what not. Out of humanity, I came here. Now, he is alright and more of that his well-wisher is here. What more does he need?"

She turns on her heels to leave but again halts to continue,

"And by the way, who are you to judge whether we fight on a silly matter or a world crisis?"

Nandini was about to head the exit door when Komolika clutches her wrist and drags her towards an empty corner. At first, Nandini was taken aback by this abrupt action. However, after overcoming the initial quandary, she tries to free her hand from Komolika's grip.

"Don't make a scene. It's a public nursing home and we are fortunately celebrities. Public is always ready to celebrate each and every movement of ours. So, keep quiet and stand over here."

Komolika forcefully pushes Nandini to a corner of the lobby and mouths sternly.

"Now, vent out your frustration. I know you have so much against me but we never got a proper opportunity to face off. So, tell me what exactly bothers you? My friendship with Manik or your insecurities about your relationship with him?"

Nandini rubs her wrist with a surging breath. She is angry and surprised at a time.

"Relationship? What relationship do we have that I will feel insecure about? He matters nothing to me. Neither you. Yes, I am frustrated but that's not because I have any problem with your so-called friendship. I am frustrated because unwillingly I have to tolerate you both in my life."

She scoffs and continues,

"Okay, when you dared to take me here to know my opinion about you; let me ask you a question, care to explain to me, in which kind of friendship a friend gives company to her friend in his bed at midnight? Platonic love for that special friend? I don't think so."

Nandini shrugs while Komolika widens her eyes in disbelief. Tears prick in her eyes. She murmurs in a choked voice,

"Leave Nandini...before I utter something wrong about you. Please leave."

Nandini scoffs and says bluntly,

"Even I don't have time to kill with you. I hope you enjoyed this face-off. Goodbye!"

She quits leaving behind Komolika who is standing over there, trying to suppress her sobs. No one can see two eyes were watching them for a long time. Those eyes are now blazing with fury.

.................................................

Nandini just has finished her dinner. It's almost 11 pm. After returning from the nursing home she straight went to sleep, taking a sleeping pill. She was not feeling good to utter those nasty words for Komolika. However, she couldn't control herself and poured out all wrath that was gathered for so many days. Nandini lifts the used plates and walks to the kitchen. She didn't visit the nursing home today to see her Appa. Since he gets hospitalized, she has been living in this flat all alone. As Nandini switches off the kitchen light, the doorbell rings. Nandini furrows her forehead in surprise. Who can come at this time? She nears the door and asks,

"Who is this?"

However, no reply comes. She places her eye on the magic eye but still can't locate anybody. Being irritated she opens the door partially. Only then a strong hand pushes it violently making Nandini almost fall on the ground. Her perplexed and timid eyes stare up to meet the person who enters forcefully and immediately locks the door.

"Manik...you! What are you doing here?"

Her question remains unanswered as Manik vehemently grabs her forearm and drags her towards the bedroom. Nandini is too scandalized to react or withstand his force. Manik yanks her to the bedroom and pushes her inside. He immediately locks the door and switches on the night lamp. Till now, Nandini has gathered her words,

"Manik...what's wrong with you? How dare you enter my house like this?"

Manik dangerously nears her and counters in a fervent tone,

"And how dare you say all those rubbish to Komolika? I thought our all fights and misunderstanding are only between us. But today you crossed all limits. You insulted a girl; you insulted a pure friendship. How could you stoop so low? TELL ME HOW?

Manik's surging tone makes Nandini flinch. However, she overcomes her fear and retorts in a blunt voice,

"I didn't say any rubbish. Whatever I have seen I told. I have seen her sleeping with you in your bed. In which friendship, a girl and a boy sleep together when the guy is already married and that girl knows it very well? Let me tell you, only a characterless girl and a philanderer boy do this shit. If you both can stoop so low, why can't I...."

Her words get halt as Manik slaps Nandini with all force. Nandini can't withstand the intensity and plummets on the bed. Manik scoots forward and fists her hair mercilessly.

"Today I will answer your all baseless blame but if you can't answer my counter questions, this night will be really hard on you, Ms Nandini Murthy. Really hard."

Manik hisses out which sends a chill to Nandini's bone marrow.

Author's note: Some heated arguments and physical violence are in the next chapter. Some more truths will come out. Keep reading and voting.  🙏❤❤