Chapter 6 - "Perfect shot..."

Both Manik and Nandini dart their eyes to the person who just entered

Both Manik and Nandini dart their eyes to the person who just entered. Nandini's eyes have anxiety when Manik has a snicker plastered on his lips. Arnav nears them and is about to grab Manik's hand to withdraw him from Nandini's vicinity, Manik raises his both hands in defeat and retorts dramatically.

"Oho...look who is here. Our heroine's saviour. But for your kind information, I am not forcing myself on your special friend. Come on, Mr Producer. You know that I am not a villain. Neither you are a hero."

He leans forward and purrs the last word in Arnav's ear making a mocking face. Arnav glares at him. Manik continues while eyeing Nandini,

"And what new will I get by forcing her? I have seen everything. You know right...we did it many times. Like husband and wife."

He winks and rubs his thumb on the corner of his lower lip seductively. Arnav raises his hand at Manik and chides,

"YOU....Shut your filthy mouth."

Nandini immediately grabs Arnav's elbow and distances him from Manik who is now sneering by resting his hands on his waist.

"Arnav, No....leave this man. He only can speak shit. Manik leave. I will be on the set on time. Now, please excuse us. We need privacy."

She deliberately uses the word privacy because she wants to pay him back with equal venom. Manik's eyes flicker with fire. He scoffs and heads to the vanity door. Before leaving he turns and almost hisses,

"Ms Nandini Murthy. Be careful. Your privacy may cost your public image. Manik Malhotra doesn't have any good boy image. Neither I care. But you both have. So, be careful."

He throws a derisive smile at Nandini's angry face and exits.

"Did he again misbehave with you, Nandini? Tell me. Why do you entertain his all impudicity?"

Arnav restlessly asks.

"Because I have no options. I have to bear his all tortures throughout my life. Even if I want, I can't separate him from my life. You know Appa is hospitalized. Every day I am to pay the bill for the ICU and the ventilation. I know I have lost this battle but still, I can't leave it in between. My acting career is going through a rough patch. This time I needed this film. I know Manik only recommended my name to the producer because he wants to control my life. He knows everything and he is taking advantage of my helpless situation. And I know all these still I am letting him manipulate me in every way. What a fate I got!"

Nandini slouches on a chair while spitting out her frustration.

"Nandini don't blame your fate for everything. I have told you so many times that take the money from me. If not as a friend then take it as a loan. I know my last two films didn't do well in the market and I am also going through financial instability. But that doesn't mean I will look away from your problems. Think Nandini. Uncle is in a coma for the last 1 year. There is no guarantee of his recovery. You have already sold your Andheri flat and now you have mortgaged your Juhu flat too. How long can you drag this adverse situation? At some point, you have to compromise with your ego."

Arnav states restlessly. Nandini stares up to meet his worried eyes. Her eyes have bitter emotion.

"It's not my ego Arnav. It's my self-respect. And how could I take money from you despite knowing that Khushi's father is supporting you in your production business? You know that he doesn't like me. He suspects our friendship. For that only he was against your marriage to Khushi. He created so many misunderstandings between you and Khushi. Thankfully Khushi believed me at that time and changed her decision to be separated from you. I don't want to create that situation again. Please Arnav. I know you care for me but I can't spoil your life with Khushi because of our friendship. This is my battle and I have to combat it. Alone."

Nandini counters while getting up from the chair. She has to give the shot as early as possible if she doesn't want Manik to get on her nerves again. She observes herself in the mirror and approaches the vanity door. Only then, Arnav addresses her desperately,

"Then why don't you take money from Manik? You have that right, Nandini. He is still your husband."

Like a wounded tigress Nandini turns. Her eyes emit wrath and pain simultaneously.

"Yes, he is still my husband but I don't have any proof of that. Like other deceits, he kept it a secret. We got married in a temple and I was a fool to believe him. He once publicly denied this relationship then how can I claim my right on him? Our relationship was a lie. Our marriage was a big bluff. He is a monster who came into my life to ruin it."

Nandini's voice chokes. Lest she loses her cool further she opens the vanity van door and disperses.

..................................................

"Roll camera....Action..!"

As soon as Nandini heard the Director's call she fuses her lips to Manik. The touch is very known but the emotion is different. Very different. It is too professional. Today she has to keep away all emotions from her performance. People admire her as a flawless actress. Today she has to prove it to herself. Manik digs his fingers into her lush tresses and pulls her more to him. Their lips are dancing together with perfect sync. Nandini snakes her arms around his neck and engages herself more into a perfect shot. Time freezes for Manik. Nandini's warm wet lips are almost melting in his mouth. He touches his tongue tip on her teeth and seeks access to deeper. A mild moan escapes his mouth. Just then the call hits Nandini's ears.

"Cut..!"

She immediately withdraws her from his proximity. Manik opens his eyes. They are still dreamy and baffled. Nandini rests her palm on Manik's chest and pushes him.

"The scene is over, Mr Malhotra. Come out from your dreamland. Be professional."

She murmurs and snickers. Manik is still staring at her like a statue. Nandini turns at the director and says,

"I think now you have no complaints, Mr Chopra."

Director Mr Tanay Chopra shows a thumbs up at Nandini.

"Perfect..No one can beat Ms Nandini Murthy in a passionate scene. Pack up."

He shouts at the crew. Nandini glances at Manik and smirks. Manik narrows his eyes and takes out his phone from his pocket.

"Hey, Babe...meet me in the pub. I want your help. Nothing. Just want to get rid of some unwanted touch. Who can be better than you? Yup...See you soon."

He keeps on eyeing Nandini while taking out a kerchief from his pocket. Slowly he wipes his lips and saunters at Nandini.

"What do I have to do for the profession. Horrible!"

He says and again rubs the hanky on his lips and leaves. Nandini is looking at his fading frame. She whispers with a flared nose,

"Indeed, it was horrible!"

Author's note: The battle will continue. More revelation. Some flashbacks are there in the next chapter. Stay tuned.