You could be rough, boy... But you won't! 🚧

🚧Heads up, folks! 🚧

From this chapter forward, we're going full construction mode on the book! Expect some name swaps and plot twists that might make you feel like you've stepped into a parallel universe. So, if you want the whole, shiny story without any confusion, maybe hold off until my renovation's done.

Stay tuned—big reveals ahead!

I followed Michael towards the shore, holding his hand tight, looking for Angela and Chris. Around us, people were scattered all over the beach. Some were sitting in groups and drinking, some were dancing around the fire, even some were swimming; but our friends were nowhere to be found. Hip hop music was playing loud making my skin tingle, and the bass thumped in time with my hard beating heart as though they were one. I didn't feel like mentioning the rush of emotion pulsing through me - just because he'd happened to hold my hand so I could easily follow through the crowd.

Pathetic!

Over the roar of music, a distant, hazy chatter could be heard; I couldn't make out any words, but laughter rang in my ears and wouldn't seem to stop. As we approached, the music faded a little as the laughter grew in intensity. A group of twelve people were gathered around a bonfire, all looking like typical hip-hop artists, dressed in baggy pants and baseball caps, some sitting on a tree trunk, some down on the sand, holding cups in their hands, bottles of vodka and soda were lined up in the wet sand, like little soldiers in a troop.

"Mike, how are you man!" A young man stood up, smiling like a long-lost brother and shook Mike's hand warmly then hugged him, with a pat on the shoulder. "Are you ready for tonight?" He then asked, his eyes landing on me, scanning me from head to toe. "Ah... and who's the pretty lady?" He raises his eyebrows in what I hope was a signal of pleasant surprise, but my guts told me he was rather shocked by my presence.

His hair was midnight black and his eyes were framed by graceful brows. His chocolate skin was obscured by a fuzzy, thin beard. Unlike the men I was used to, no suit, white shirt or black tie to cover his worked out body; only a pair of dark blue Adidas trousers and white sneakers fitted with a white t-shirt.

"Olivia, this is James, one of my oldest friends!" Mike made the introductions and I smiled shyly as his dark brown eyes traveled over my face, over my large black hoodie, over my grey skinny jeans, over my white Dior sneakers.

"Nice to meet you, Olivia!" He smiled back, his eyes still taking me in and I knew behind those hazel iris's there was some judgmental going on.

"Nice to meet you as well!" I replied in a low voice.

"Mike! What the fuck, man? You left me at Mc Clarance, I told you to pick me up" ! A chubby man called at him, walking towards us like his bones were only loosely connected, shoulders moving like potatoes in a sack with every heavy footfall. "2 hours and four fucking espressos. My heart is about to explode, and from you, I ain't heard a beep. What the hell is wrong with you?" He asked, glancing down, light brown eyes examining everything about me. "Who are you?" He suddenly asked, as he changed the tone of voice to a more pleasant one ; Even though his face was frustrated, he seemed friendly.

"No one! Get out of here!" Mike stood in front of me as if he was hiding me from something using his body as a shield between me and the curious guy; and for some reason I felt this gesture as a protective one. But the chubby guy acted as if he didn't hear him, pushing him aside for a better look.

"Hy! I'm Dug, nice to meet you" He introduced himself formally, his eyes on me still, mumbling words spat more than spoken. "Are you his girlfriend or something?" He continued, staring at me with obvious curiosity.