Chapter 9: Unhealed Wounds

Wang Xiyi's POV

After the banquet, Zhengren and I toured inside the factory to conduct a quick inspection as well as greet the other workers in the production area who were very diligent to report on their work even on Saturdays.

"Mr. Yi, I'll get the car," Jia Tiancai said as we finally head outside the factory.

"Okay, I'll call Jiaxin first. Thank you."

I took my phone out and dialed my wife's number and eventually heard her voice on the other line.

"Xiyi."

"Hello, Uncle Xiyiiiiiii," a little voice suddenly shouted which made me giggled.

Zhengren looked at me confusedly.

"Hello there, Jia Fang. Uncle will play with you later, okay? I'll talk to your Auntie Jiaxin first, alright?"

Then I heard a loud and long and at the same time a playful 'okay' from the other line.

"Jiaxin?"

"Hmmm. I'm right here."

"Oh, the banquet was already over and we're about to leave in an instant. Are you still at your cousin's house?"

"No, no. We're currently here at the town's grocery store. Sister Zishan wanted to do a quick shopping for tonight's dinner."

"Okay, that's great. You wait for us outside, we'll just pick you up directly so you won't have to carry those stuffs you bought from the grocery."

"Okay. I'll see you outside then. You three, take care on the road."

"Alright. I'll keep that in mind."

Our travel heading towards the grocery store took almost half an hour. But I guess they were still unfinished with what Jiaxin called "quick shopping" because I had not seen anyone from them waiting for us outside.

So the three of us went inside to check on them after the car was parked.

We instantly saw my mother-in-law and Jiaxin's cousin, Zishan falling in line at the counter to pay for their purchases.

But I haven't seen my wife and her nephew, Jia Fang.

"Honey!" Jia Tiancai exclaimed after seeing her wife.

"Oh, you're here. Where's Jiaxin and Jia Fang?"

"I thought they were with you," I answered.

"She just went outside a while ago with the kid to wait for you at the main entrance," my mother-in-law said also looking confused.

"Oh! We came from the entrance from the parking," Zhengren spoke.

"I'll look for them outside."

I hurriedly walked outside and began checking around the parking lot which was at the right side of the store hoping to finally see them but was startled by the sound of a loud beep.

I looked around but saw no one else in the area except me so the sound surely was not from here.

So I ran my way towards the main entrance of the store however immediately stopped my feet from moving any further after seeing a back of a woman, kneeling on the other side of the road, her arms spread around a tiny figure probably trying to protect him from an impending danger ahead of them.

"JIAXIN! JIAXIN! STOP!" I shouted with all my might, unsure if it's enough to stop this black car which just came out of nowhere from running over my wife and her nephew.

But the car unexpectedly stopped even before it totally reached Jiaxin and Jia Fang's small bodies.

It is as if the driver really heard me and stopped the car from hitting them.