Chapter One

CASSY heard a knock as she stepped out of the shower. She put on her robe and hurriedly went to open the door.

"Mom," she kissed her cheek and let her in. She could tell from the make up on her face that she came straight from her shooting. Her mom is a well-known actress in the country and has received numerous acting awards in various award-giving bodies.

"Baby, your Tita Nadine told me about your meeting with ABS Network."

Cassy looked away as soon as she heard her mom say 'meeting'. She sat at the edge of her bed and fiddled with her robe.

"That was the fourth offer you turned down. What went wrong this time, Cas?" she asked gently as she sat beside her. "I thought you really wanted that deal with ABS? You were excited pa nga when you got the call, 'di ba?"

"I don't know, Mom. I... I just..." she blew air through her mouth as frustration filled her heart. "I didn't like what they were planning for me, that's all."

"And what is that plan?"

"Well, they were planning to launch me together with other celebrity daughters. They're conceptualizing a show about showbiz royalties and they want me to be a part of it," she explained.

"But isn't that a good plan, sweetie? It's a unique concept. I'm pretty sure it will be a big hit. The celebrity parents could even-"

"Yeah, you and dad could even guest on the show and it will be a big hit for sure. Superstar Cassy will be credited for her acting prowess. Yay!" she said, making no effort to hide her sarcasm.

"Oh my dear Cassy," she extended her arm and put it on her shoulder. "I'm really sorry, baby. It's so insensitive of me to forget what we always talk about. Ayaw mo nga palang maassociate sa amin ng daddy mo."

"It's not that I don't want to be associated with you and Dad. It's just that I want to make it on my own, Mom. That's the reason why I never allowed you to accompany me during go-sees. I want them to get me because I am me. Not because I am Carmela and Owen's daughter."

"But people will always see you as my daughter, baby. You look like me. You act like me. You even talk like me. It's hard for people to see you in any other way other than my daughter," her mom explained patiently like she's a three-year old kid.

"I know that, Mom. But still, I want to try getting projects through my own merits, you know. I'm a good dancer. And I could act, too. I won Best Actress in our school play nga, 'di ba?" Her mom nodded. "I know I could make it big in showbiz on my own, Mom. I just need that one big chance. Kaso lang ang tagal dumating nu'ng chance na 'yun," she frowned.

She can't help but get frustrated with the outcome of her latest meeting with the TV network. She really thought it's the one she's been waiting for. To think that she got so excited when she received the call from the executive producer of ABS. She had high hopes that it will be the offer she's been looking forward to, that one chance to showcase what she's got. Turns out it's the same as the others.

She doesn't know where the need to make it on her own is coming from. All she knows is that ever since she was a little girl, she always wanted to have her own identity. She badly wants to make it in show business through her own merits. She wants to carve her own name in the entertainment industry separate from what her superstar parents have achieved. She wants to prove to the world that there's more to her than just her pretty face and prestigious name.

Her mom gently touched the crease on her forehead. "Don't stress yourself too much about it, baby. If it comes, it comes. If it doesn't, then you can always try again, right?" she softly said as she pat her left cheek. "Always remember that your brother Marvin, your Dad and I, we all love you and we believe in your talent. We will always be behind your back to support you in your dreams, okay?"