Chapter Nine

AFTER ten years...

"MOM, I really can't make it, I'm sorry. Tell Marvin to visit me here in Manhattan with his fiancée so I can meet her."

Cassy put her phone in between her right ear and shoulder as she gathered her laptop and put it in her bag. She took the coffee from the crew and mouthed a quick thank you to her.

Her mom bombarded her with her usual litanies that she had to roll her eyes as she quickly walked out of the coffee shop with coffee in one hand and her cell phone in another.

"Mom- Mom, listen... I'm sorry I gotta go. I have to rush to the office for a meeting. I'll call you up later. I love you. Bye!"

She took a deep breathe as she slid her phone in her bag. It's been an everyday struggle with her mom. For the past two years since she graduated in college, their convo remained the same. Her mom would beg her to come home and she would refuse. She wonders when will her mom give up. Or if she ever will.

New York is her home now. It's been that way for the past two years that she started working. After finishing her degree in Journalism at the prestigious Boston University, she moved to New York to pursue her writing career. She now works as a contributor and Editorial Assistant at New York Magazine.

She actually understands her mom. She knows she just misses her a lot because ever since she left the Philippines ten years ago, she never looked back. She misses them a lot, too, but what can she do? She's really so busy and she's got so little time for herself.

You know that's a pretty lame excuse, Cassandra, right? You very well know that if you wanted to go back to the Philippines, you would find the time, her mind spoke.

She snickered. So yeah, she doesn't want to go back. Her career is here, her friends are here and her family visits her every so often anyway so what's left for her in the Philippines? Her mom would just have to deal with the fact that she's not coming back.

She looked at her wristwatch and cursed at herself. She's really running late. She needs to reach the office in fifteen minutes or she'll hear her second sermon of the day from her boss this time.

She was walking towards her car when somebody bumped her. She shrieked when she felt the hot coffee on her chest.

"Oh my God! I'm so sorry, Miss. I was busy taking pictures and I didn't notice you," said the man who bumped her.

She bit her lips to prevent herself from lashing at the man. She promised herself she would only invite positivity in her life. Lashing at him would only ruin her day. She took a deep breath to calm her mood.

She took the hanky he was handing to her and dabbed it on her blouse. She looked up to thank him when she froze. They were both surprised when they recognized each other.

"Cassy?"

"JK?"

She wasn't able to react when JK grabbed her and hugged her tight. He lifted her and spun her around.

"Woah! Put me down, dude," she said, laughing awkwardly. Some people are starting to get curious at them.

"God! I missed you, Cas! How have you been?" he asked as he put her down. "Wow, you look stunning as ever."

She couldn't help but blush at the way JK was looking at her. He didn't make any attempt to hide his admiration.

"And you're still bolero as ever," she said with a giggle. She glanced at her watch again. "Well, nice meeting you here, JK, but I really need to get going," she said as she turned to leave.