Chapter Six

THE loud sound of her ringing tone woke Cassy up. Still with eyes closed, she reached for her phone on the side table and pressed the answer button.

"Hello?" she said in her husky voice.

"Good morning. Did I wake you up?"

She automatically opened her eyes when she heard the voice at the other line. She took a quick glance at the clock on her bedside.

"Darren, come on! It's way too early para mang-asar sa 'kin. Six o'clock pa lang, dude," she complained. "Awat muna sa pangungulit, pwede?"

"Hindi ako mangungulit, promise," Darren said. "I read your response on Ask and I would just like to thank you for coming to my defense," he added, his voice full of sincerity.

She grabbed her bolster pillow and hugged it lazily. "Oh that... it's nothing. Just returning the favor, I guess," she casually said.

Darren was referring to her recent response to his basher on her social media account. Just like any famous male celebrity, Darren wasn't spared from the gay issue despite the fact that he's still a kid.

She normally doesn't respond to bashers, and neither does Darren, but she was just so fed up with the issue that she felt compelled to respond. She knows that people can sometimes be so mean and judgemental unless someone would speak up and put some sense to their heads.

She was guilty of it before. She misjudged him and thought all the worst about him, too. But Ryan made her see the light. She and Darren have since talked it through and ironed out their differences. Their relationship as on-screen partners had never been better. They may have started at the wrong foot but they're slowly patching things up.

"It's not nothing to me, Cas. I really appreciate what you did. Thank you," she heard him say.

"Well, you did that to me before so I guess we're even," she replied, pertaining to those times Darren had called out her bashers.

"Ayaw talagang magpatalo, eh 'no?" Darren chuckled.

She laughed. "Hindi naman. I just felt like there's nothing to thank me for. I mean, we're kind of friends now and friends always have each other's back."

"May 'kind of' pa talaga?"

"Eh malay ko ba kung nag-aassume lang ako na friends tayo pero-"

"You're not," he cut her off. "You're my girl friend now. The closest I have."

"Excuse me??? Girlfriend??!" She was utterly shocked. But what shocked her the most was that she couldn't feel any repulsive reaction from herself. If she would be honest, she even liked the idea of being his girlfriend.

"Yeah, girl-friend. Babaeng friend. Ano ba'ng intindi mo?"

Girl friend pala, two words. 'Kala ko...

"Exactly what you meant, dude. I'm your closest girl friend," she said instead, stressing the last two words. She would rather die than admit that that's not what she originally thought.

"Do you want to be my girlfriend, Cas?" he teased.

"Che! Ibaba mo na nga ang phone kung wala ka nang ibang sasabihin. Babalik pa 'ko sa pagtulog," she said.

"'Okay, go back to sleep na, Cas. Sorry if I woke you up really early. I was just so happy and excited. Hehe! Kami naman ni Kuya Ry will wait for our flight to Butuan."

She rolled her eyes even if he can't see her. "Whatever, dude. I'ma sleep now. Good luck sa concert mo sa Butuan," she mumbled then put her phone back to the bedside table.