08

Warning: Ed triggers

I started playing a very dangerous game.

Insomnia was in between normal and rare for me.

I experienced it before, not too many times where it became a problem and affected my life during the day, but also not too rare where I didn't notice it was occurring.

Finding a sleep position that makes it easy to fall asleep is a lot harder than it seems. No position I jumped to would ease me into my dreams, tossing and turning for hours just waiting for sleep to take over.

There's plenty of causes for restless nights yet I don't find any of them correlating to what I'm actually feeling. I'd describe myself as impatient and curious rather than stressed and anxious.

I'm curious about what happened at the gas station that led both Niall and Harry to get injured. I'm impatient because ever since Niall passed out, he hasn't woken up. He's alive and breathing, but completely knocked out. Finding out what happened wasn't everything I was thinking about; I was also concerned about his health and how we'd move throughout these next ten days to make sure nothing goes wrong in the healing process, but he hasn't even woken up for me to get that far.

There's also the fact that we'd be risking a lot, considering we don't know when the smoke will move and what'll happen then. So do we risk his leg, or our lives? The obvious answer to that is simple—just have him take one for the team, better one than all.

It's deeper than that, for me at least.

The sound of a wall banging broke the hypnotic state I had on the ceiling fan going in circles. I sat up, hearing it come from the wall straight across the bed.

I quickly understood it was Niall calling out for help. I stood up and walked towards the door, opening it and heading down the hallway to reach his room. This house was very spacious so there was a lot of room everywhere, especially since this house was decorated very simplistically.

I walk through the door, the lamp I left on shining light on the opposite side of where he was laying, making my eyes squint from the exposure after being used to the dark for some time. Niall laid in the same position, his eyes open and watching as I walked through and to the side of the bed he was laying on.

"Hey." I crack a smile.

"Hey." He replied, his voice raspy and his accent sounding thicker than ever.

"What happened?" I peer at his injury that was covered by a bandage, analyzing for anything out of the normal. When I got to his foot, I noticed it looked different; it was slightly swollen compared to his other foot.

"Pain woke me up, I tried to ignore it but I couldn't go back to sleep." He clears his throat, "I'm also hungry and my ass is burning." I tried to hide my laughter at his last comment by tucking my lips on my teeth and pressing it together, a smile trying to break through.

"You've been laying in that position since we got here, that's normal. I'll give you some medication and bring you some food." I answer his questions out of order as he nods.

"How bad is the pain from 1-10?" I'll be able to give him a better dosage now.

"8." I squint my eyes from how calm he was, yet his pain was close to being unbearable. This is the type of answer you expect from a kid that complains of a stomach ache to the school nurse so they could go home.

"You know 1 is least painful and 10 is unbearable pain right?"

"Yes." He nods, his hands intertwined at his chest, "C'mon, are you going to make me show you how bad it hurts? I've lost enough of my masculinity today." He catches on to what I was insinuating.