04

The calmness let us learn we were bound to be by ourselves.

It was close to midnight when we arrived at our temporary rest stop. The house was not big but not small either, it wasn't hidden behind trees but it wasn't so open that you'd want to go in it.

It made sense to pick the house, it was the perfect fit for us to hide in plain sight. We only needed it for a couple hours anyways. Everyone got out of the car besides Niall, we didn't want to leave the fully loaded truck out in the open to avoid someone passing through the night and stealing our stuff, or worse, the entire vehicle.

The only light being dispensed was shared between the flashlight in Harry's hand and the headlights from the truck. Every door and window were open—whoever lived here left in a hurry. It was sad, I could feel the abandonment and emptiness from the house. I don't know how to explain it exactly. I just wasn't used to seeing a house that looked like this.

It also shouldn't be this big of a deal to me

Harry walked towards the garage and lifted the small portion that was left so Niall could easily park the car inside, shutting off the car engine and both of them meeting Alyssa and I at the porch once I heard the garage door shut.

Niall had his bag and one of the duffle bags in his hand while Harry had his bag. The light switched on once we got inside, revealing the intimate space of the small family that lived here. There were small toys spread out in the living room, a kiddy table next to the dining room table, drawings displayed on the fridge as I got familiar with the setting.

"We'll check the house, you guys go ahead and get settled in." Niall spoke, him and Harry going deeper into the small hallway, Alyssa and I staying behind.

You would think that Harry would want to have control over what we do but Niall has seemed to take over and he's not fighting back, unless it's towards me or Alyssa. It makes it a lot easier with Niall being the front man, he actually communicates and isn't that bad. Something about Harry's behavior isn't adding up, as much as I would hate it, his actions mirror control, so why isn't he doing that?

"What happened back there?" Alyssa interrupts my thoughts, the sound of cans hitting the counter bringing my subconscious back to earth.

I sigh, "I wish I knew." I meet her in the kitchen and begin to help her.

"What about you, how did you guys get out? And how did you guys manage to get all this food in that short amount of time?" I ask, looking at the different cans.

"Well we didn't get that much food, me and Niall decided to get mostly water. The food was all you and Harry." She mentions and gives me the side eye as if I was supposed to know that.

It doesn't make sense, I was with him for a decent amount of time before he disappeared into thin air; he only grabbed gum, and then those people came.