7 - Go back

Alesa Romano
------
(Edited)

After hanging the pictures, Lorenzo retreated to his room, and I settled into the bean bag with my Harry Potter book. My twin sister, Alexa, burst in.

"Uh, hey Alesa," she said awkwardly.

"Hey Alexa," I replied.

"I need to talk to you," she said.

"Go ahead."

"I want you to leave," Alexa stated.

"Leave where?" I asked, confused.

"Don't play dumb," she retorted. "I want you to go anywhere, just stay away from my brothers."

"They're my brothers too," I countered.

"I don't care; ask Lorenzo to send you away. I won't share them with you," Alexa said sternly and stormed out.

I never thought Alexa would say something like this to me. I love her; she's my sister. Where will I go? I want to stay with my family, my brothers.

Determined to resolve this, I went to Alexa's room. Her room was the opposite of mine - white walls, black and white decor, and band photos. I noticed no pictures of us.

"Why are you here?" she asked.

"I want to know why you want me to go away," I replied.

"Because I don't like you, and I don't want to share my brothers," Alexa said.

"They're my brothers too; I won't go away," I insisted.

Noah and Alex entered the room.

"Who wants to go, and where?" Alex asked.

"No one," I replied.

"Don't lie, Alesa," Alexa accused. "She threatened me, saying Lorenzo would send her away."

I never said that; she did.

Alex and Noah's anger rose.

"Why did you say that, Alesa?" Alex asked sternly.

"I-I didn't say that," I stuttered, tears welling up.

"Lorenzo told you about the no-lying rule," Alex screamed.

Colton intervened, "Why are you screaming, Alex?"

Alex explained, and Dylan joined in, screaming at me. I flinched.

"Please trust me; I didn't say anything," I sobbed.

Colton stepped in, "Alesa, go to your room. We'll talk later."

I locked myself in my room, collapsing onto my bed in tears. The pain of Alexa's betrayal overwhelmed me. First, she asked me to leave, then blamed me, and worst of all, didn't believe me when I denied saying those hurtful words. I thought I had found a family that loved, trusted, and cared for me, but now I felt utterly betrayed.

Lorenzo wasn't there at the time, and I couldn't shake the fear that he would think I was lying too. What if no one trusted me? What if he punished me? My mind raced with terrible thoughts - would he hurt me physically or worse? No, I told myself, trying to calm down. He's my brother; he wouldn't do that.

But the anxiety consumed me, and I began sobbing uncontrollably. I desperately needed my inhaler, but it was back in Canada, forgotten at my old house. My breathing quickened, and the room started spinning. I tried to keep my eyes open, but everything went dark, and I blacked out.

---

I woke up to beeping sounds in a hospital room. Alex sat beside me.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yes," I replied.

Alex nodded and left to inform my brothers

Alex Romano

Alesa woke up, and I called the doctor. Once the doctor checked her, I asked, "Are you okay?"

"Yes," she replied.

I left to tell my brothers she was awake.

When we returned, Alesa avoided eye contact with everyone except Lorenzo.

"I'm sorry," she said, tears in her eyes.

Lorenzo was about to respond when the doctor interrupted.

The doctor needed to speak with Lorenzo, Alesa's legal guardian.

We followed the doctor to his office, leaving Alexa with Alesa.