Sam

My mom wakes me up in the morning. It's only Wednesday but I already can't wait for the week to end. My mom sticks her head back in the door, "you up yet? Come on! School's starting soon!" Her messy blond hair is pulled on top of her head in a wild bun. She looks harried as normal and is probably thinking about how lucky my father is to have a job and not have to deal with me and my younger brother. I think my parents got married because they had all the same opinions including that women should stay home and take care of the kids. I think she regrets it now.

When I get downstairs my brother, Ricky, is soberly pouring himself cereal. Ricky's always been like this, he's a serious child. Top of the class and really kind. I worry about him though, Ricky is sensitive, he will absorb what other people are feeling and take it upon himself to make them feel better. It's too big a job for someone who is only eight. I sneak up behind him and tousle his short blond hair. I feel bad, I usually take time to spend time with him after school but lately I've been too busy with my own problems.

"Hey buddy, how are you?" I say. Ricky glances at me then goes back to his food.

"Fine."

"How do you like third grade?"

"It's good, my science teacher is annoying though. Also there is this girl Clara and everyone is bullying her."

"Ricky, you can't take care of everyone. Tell the teachers. It's going to be okay."

"Okay, I guess." He sounds kind of downcast, and I watch him put his dishes in the sink, worrying, not for the first time, that I don't pay enough attention to him. I sigh and get a bowl from the cabinet, kissing the top of his head. Maybe I'll take him to the movies or something on Saturday. It would be good for both of us to get out of the house. But what would he want to do? It's been so long since I was in third grade...

I eat breakfast silently and follow Ricky down the hall to get my bag. Our mother hurries us into the car, driving fast, trying to get to Windsor High School before the first bell.