Noah

Sometimes I think Sam is crazy. Not the kind of crazy that will get you to do something really bad. She is the kind of crazy that will do anything for what she wants. Usually this is good. In sixth grade she decided that she wanted a ball python. Her mother was dead set against it but Sam chipped away at her until a few months later she got Sunny. I'm glad she did though, I'm not a big animal person but you can't not like Sunny.

This time though I think the only thing she is getting is hurt. The longer she holds onto Lily the more dejected she seems. I love Sam like she's family and I want whatever makes her happy but I don't think this is working. I try not to get too caught up in their problem but that's hard. I see that they love each other and they are just trying to do the right thing.

I look down at the math on the table. I'm supposed to be solving some strange equation. I'm usually pretty good at math, I work hard because I want to go to a good college, but today it looks like another language.

I look up and see Sam walking towards me. Her short blond hair falls just below her shoulders and flips lightly as if dancing with her long, deliberate strides. She has a purposeful look on her face as if she has come to deliver some important news but when she sits down her face seems to crumple. She puts her face in her hands and sighs loudly.

"Another bad day?" I ask, trying to sound sympathetic. She looks at me, giving me a duh look.

"Yeah Noah, just another bad day." She says this sarcastically but I know inside she is falling apart. I want to help her but everytime I tell her she should let Lily go she looks at me like I can't believe he just said that! And she stalks off.

I decide to change the subject. "How's Sunny?" Sunny is a safe topic since he has a while to go.

"He's fine," she says, looking up. "He's been off feed for two weeks but he should start eating again soon."

"And Ricky?" I really like Sam's younger brother. He's very kind and good to talk to about space and other science. Sam isn't really into "nerd stuff".

"I don't really know," she says, looking worried. "He knows something's up and I think he is a bit upset. I'm going to take him out this Sunday but I don't really know where he would want to go."

"What about the Space and Science Museum? I can drive you."

"You think he'll want to do that? Seems a bit boring."

"You know some people like that kind of stuff."

"Okay, well you know best. Can you pick us up at nine on Saturday?"

"Yeah, sure."

We eat our lunch in silence until the bell rings. I stand up and stretch. Science is next and I am glad, science is a lot less complicated than emotions. I see Lily in the flood of students leaving the lunchroom. She doesn't look much happier than Sam. Sam and I gather our stuff and leave the lunchroom together. We go to our lockers and split ways to our different classes