Chapter-22

They were stopped at the main gate by Luke who just shoved a phone in their hands shooing them away. They opened the phone and saw Liam’s unconscious face fill the screen and then a voice started speaking.

I leave you for a moment and you run away?” Liam, Tris thought, folding her fist.

Why yes, honey it’s me. Before you left I wanted nothing but my share of property and money, but now you have angered me. Straight to the point, know you have two options, come in with one of your friend, other than Lillian, because I will kill her some other day, sign the papers, take Liam and leave the companion behind. Or I will kill Liam and then hunt you down till you sign the papers. Your choice, darling, you have an hour to decide. Bye bye.” And the screen went blank.

Deb touched her neck, her throat felt dry and thorny. She looked at Lillian and started walking towards the gate.

“No, Deb, honey, we need a plan, okay? I won’t let anything happen to Liam, I promise.” Lillian said as Deb struggled to get out of her grip.

“Deb. Please just give us some time, I promise everything would be fine.” Owen said and seated her in the car before sliding in the driving seat and drove to the café silently.

***

“Okay here’s the plan.” Lillian said after fifteen minutes of stirring aimlessly at her coffee. She took out a tissue paper and started scribbling as the other five leaned in to see the paper.

“Tris enters the house with Owen and you guys distract Liam and her husband without signing the paper. Me and Ben, we enter from the low wall in the backyard after Ben has switched off all the security cams, through the dog’s door and into the mansion. We find Liam, we climb the low wall back to the car with him, where Deb would be ready to go. As soon as we get in, we signal you guys and you make a run for the car. Simple, risky I know, but pretty straight forward. Then we move to the second part of the plan.”

“What’s the second part?” Deb asked and Lillian smiled at her before she continued with the plan.

***

“Okay, so everybody good? Let us check the microphone, can everybody hear me?” Lillian asked and everybody nodded before Tris came out of the washroom wearing jumpsuit and sports shoes.

“Why don’t I and Ben get one?” She asked frowning

“Because Owen and Lillian will be with you guys and because we could only arrange 3 of them. Now be safe, okay?” Deb said as she hugged her and gave her a weary smile.

“I will be.” Tris said as Lillian’s phone rang and she excused herself taking the call.

“We will be fine.” Ben said nodding at Deb

“Let’s do this.” Owen said smiling at all four of them.

***

Lillian could see the sister Liam shouting at Tris and her husband holding Owen from the back. She looked at Ben, who gave her a good-to-go sign, looking up from her laptop, and she signed him back to go in first and then entered from the dog door herself. The house was huge and there was no way, Owen and Tris could hold them long enough to check all rooms.

They started with the ground floor rooms, checking each one of them, finding no one. Lillian sighed as fear started gripping her and turned suddenly when she heard a bark. Husky, she saw and looked at the door he was barking at constantly and realization stuck her.

She quickly opened the room to see Liam in the corner, unconscious. Ben stepped forward and helped him up, sprinkling some water on his face and both of them sighed in relieve when Liam sputtered and opened his eyes slowly.

They quickly picked him up, and exited through the dog’s door. She ushered Ben to move towards the fence and mouthed trust me when he looked back at her confused.

She looked at Owen after Ben reached the low wall and closed her eyes before touching her microphone, activating it.

L: Owen, Let us activated plan B

O: Are you sure Lillian?

D: What plan B? and Lillian why is Ben coming alone form the low wall?

L: Deb. Please start the car and Owen, do it.

D: What, no. Lillian come out now. Don’t__

O: Let us do it. And Owen disconnected the call. Deb screamed in frustration and finally started the car arriving in front of the gate.

Owen signaled Tris and when Lillian emerged from the back yard Liam turned to look at her, gesturing her guards to get her and looked back to see Owen and Tris exiting the mansion. She was boiling with rage but started smiling evily when Owen turned was stopped by Luke.

Luke hit him on his jaw and Owen fell on the ground hard, drifting into sleep.

Lillian too started running towards him but fell on the ground when something smooth and hard like rod hit her on her head. Everything was spinning and she relaxed a little when she heard screeching of tires fainting second by second.

***

“TRIS, no, we have to leave. Lillian asked us to trust her and we have to.” Deb said as Tris struggled in Ben’s grip to get out of the car.

“WHAT THE HELL, DEB? TURN _” Tris shouted still struggling in Ben’s grip but stopped when she saw Liam’s head which was bleeding slightly. Lillian knew what she was getting into, Tris had to trust her. She searched her bag for some cotton and ointment but the car stopped before she could apply it.

“Tris, it’s time for second part of our plan.” Deb said nodding towards their destination.

“Owen was supposed to join me and Ben in the train journey.” Tris said to no one and climbed out of car with Ben on her trail.

“See you on the other side?” Tris said, almost pleading Deb and handing her the ointment.

“Be safe. See you soon.” Deb said giving her a reassuring smile and taking the ointment from her.

She watched Tris and Ben entering the station and she knew Ben would take care of Tris. They would be fine. She turned to Liam who was still a little unconscious and sprinkled some water on his face and applying the ointment. She stopped and leaned in to listen what Liam was muttering.

“This is so going in my biography. Best day ever.” She heard Liam speak and smiled, shaking her head.

“Are you okay?” She asked

“Yeah am fine.” Liam answered nodding his head
She finished applying the ointment and drove silently to the airport. They got on the plane and Deb looked at the empty seat for Lillian beside her and sighed before keeping her head on Liam’s shoulder and drifting off to sleep.

***

“Owen……Owen, wake up! It’s happening.” Lillian said struggling in the seat she was roped to. She could feel her wet socks.

“What?” Owen asked as he slowly opened his eyes, wincing in pain and cringed when he felt the water up to his knees.

“Owen, quick, it will be over before we now it. Get my bracelet.” Lillian said. She had her back to Owen and slightly reached forward to touch his fingers.

“Lillian, we are roped and soon it will be over. All you really care about is the bracelet right now?” Owen asked sarcastically.

“No you dumb face, why do you think I always keep wearing this bracelet? It’s a weapon. It has sharp edges.” Lillian said rolling her eyes and felt Owen hands grab the bracelet.

“This is amazing. Who gave it you?” Owen asked once they had cut their ropes.

“My dad. Now can we please go? It’s almost time.” Lillian said and started moving through the wet floor towards the door. They were in the basement. She was sure of it. She knew the sister Liam would definitely keep her in the safest room in the house and basement was it.

Owen too started following Lillian and stopped when she did looking at her and then what caught her attention. Before he could speak he saw the lights in front of him. This was it, it seemed.