XXVI. Second Honeymoon

A/N: Or, how I imagine our dear couple will go about the issue of DH's annual seclusion, in view of FJ's pregnancy. =) Then, a short, but lovely surprise at the end.

I wrote this before the recent chapters, much ahead of Absolution (you know, that chap about "cultivating" in the early stages of pregnancy, haha), and so just noticed the, ugh, discrepancies as to the stage of FJ's pregnancy (early vs heavily pregnant). So I've tweaked that chapter a bit, if you want to check it out. Sorry for the confusion!

One-shot inspired by Zhonglin's line, in that ultimate revelation scene: "Dijun...had at first intended to purify the Miaoyi Huiming Realm and then fall into a deep sleep with you. Even now, he manages to think of the long life ahead of you and does not want you to feel guilty for the rest of your life."*

Thank you, as always, and hope you continue to enjoy this story, as much as I enjoy writing it. =)

Disclaimer: Lovely artwork not mine.

----------------------------------------------------

"Zhonglin said you made no plans for your annual seclusion this year. Is that true?"

Donghua looked up from the jade rattle he was carving, eyes softening as soon as he caught sight of his wife, standing at the doorway of his workroom with a tray in her hands. "Xiaobai."

Xiaobai's pregnancy is now at the one year and a half mark and had made itself known, her rounded stomach proudly jutting itself out from her slender body for all the world to see. Her skin was smooth and glowing, her body trim and fit, her disposition cheery and hopeful -- a testament to the finest and most exacting care she is receiving at this point of her life.

Donghua Dijun is as old as time, but he had never seen a more beautiful sight as his pregnant Xiaobai.

He waved a hand to clear the path as she made her way to him through the clutter of his workroom. Then he stood up and met her halfway, anyway, just to be safe. The tray -- which held a jar of medicinal paste, a small scoop, and a clean handkerchief -- was taken out of her hands and magically transported to the table. A cushion was conjured before he set her down, ever so careful, on the space beside him.

"To answer your question, no, I will not be going on seclusion this year," he replied, picking up his carving tool after one last look to make sure that she is comfortable. "Or on the next two years thereafter."

Xiaobai, who had taken the half-finished jade rattle and was inspecting it with fascination, flicked him a surprised glance. "But why? You still have about two hundred years or so before you regain back your full health. It's imperative that you go."

He laid the carving tool back down on the table, resigned to having his work interrupted for the time being. This will be a long conversation. "Is it as imperative as being present for the entirety of my wife's pregnancy and my child's birth?"

"This concerns your health, which in turn concerns the entire Four Seas and Eight Realms. It's not something that could be set aside so easily." She let go of the rattle and took his hand in hers, frowning at the cuts she found there. "Your hands are hurt again. Why are you so careless?"