Reconcile

"Look I won't be enemies with Finnick just because I lost one game. Friendship is worth much more than that."

After Slytherin's big win on the Quidditch Cup and House Cup, the Gryffindors were left to mourn the loss. They were so close to the win, yet since the last match and scandalous story behind Miraline Lynch's illness surfaced, they were left at second place. Everyone couldn't wait for the next term to start, particularly, Miraline Lynch who sworn to herself she would do anything to beat Slytherin in the upcoming match. She would train harder than any of her brothers this summer, she will make sure of it.

As she and Tanya were about to board the train, the voice of James Potter called her name. Tanya gave Miraline a look of pity, then kindly asked Miraline to deal with Potter, because apparently, Tanya couldn't stand him any longer.

"What now? I've had enough of your teasing this year, alright?" said Miraline, irritated.

"Are you busy this summer? My friends and Elizabeth were planning to go camping, It'll be fun with more people, I think," said James.

"You think?" Miraline raised her eyebrow, "It's a shame that I can't. I have to train for Quidditch so I don't get bothered by leeches such as yourself,"

"We could train together in the Forrest," Jame shrugged.

"Are you that thick? Did you really just say we could do Quidditch training in the forrest?" Miraline scoffed, "Truthfully, James, I don't want to go. So excuse me,"

James blocked her way, "Look I'm sorry I bothered you. You know I like to tease people, and you were positively stupid for not listening to me about Brown, but I won't blame you anymore. I was hoping we could be friends."

"Aren't we already?" Miraline sighed, "Despite the fact that I loath you for all eternity, we are friends, James. Even if we're not as good as friends as Tanya and me, or Finnick and me, or you and Jaso-"

"Finnick? Finnick Brown? You're still friends with him?" James asked.

"Is there a problem?" Miraline asked. "Look I won't be enemies with Finnick just because I lost one game. Friendship is worth much more than that."

"Are you daft? He's a cheat," asked James, sounding offended. "Did he apologize?"

"He did," said Miraline, sounding so very tired of the conversation already, "This doesn't concern you, James. I won't discuss Quidditch with him anymore or eat anything he gives me. I appreciate your concern, but  I decide if someone is worthy of my friendship or not."

"But he- Finnick Brown, Lynch? Really?"

"He didn't join tryouts last year because I didn't get in, he had done so many things a good friend can do that you don't know. I can't really blame him for being ambitious for once. I am daft for eating the muffin he gave me, that's my fault, and I perfectly accepted that. I let you scold me, didn't I?" said Miraline harshly.

"I scold you because of him!" said James, trying to make sense of the situation.

"Nevermind, James," said Miraline as she boarded the train at last.

When James walked inside his compartment, Jason (who had secretly watched him talked to Miraline), immediately knew something was up.

"Did she accept?" Jason asked, referring to the invitation for the summer holiday plan.

"Of course not," Timothy spoke the obvious, James glared at him. "Don't look at me like that. It's pretty clear she rejected you from the look on your face."

"I'm not sad because of that," said James. "Unfortunately, Miraline is still friends with Brown. Therefore we can't be friends with her or associate with her at all. I'll have to avoid her at all cost for what she did."

"Exactly what did she do again? Being friends with a Slytherin?" asked Timothy. "I don't think you can force someone to just hate their best friend over some muffin trick. You've done worse things to Jason, he's still your friend. If anything, you're going to be more bothered by the fact you can't talk to her anymore. I reckon you still fancy her?"

"Who said anything about that? You've been so delusional, Timmy." said James defensively.

"Oh yeah?" Timothy sat upright and raised his eyebrow, "Let's see, the evidence. You've barely done anything fun the last weeks, you're always glancing towards the girl in the Great Hall, talked to her in class-"

"And you've been a great deal happier when you got along with her after the muffin trick." Jason chirped, "Timothy's got a point."

"Even Jason knew, and he's not at all observing," said Timothy, "Something's up with you and you don't even know it!"

James stared blankly at his friends, "Have you forgotten about the whole broom incident? How depressed I was when her foul friend ruined my match?"

Timothy and Jason remembered very well. James Potter is very memorable, especially when he's mad and depressed. Even if his laughter brings other people joy, his sadness is also contagious. At one point they had to stab their four-poster beds with knives then fix them with spells the next day. The weeks that follow will always be depressing.

The two boys stopped arguing with James and let him wallow in his own self-pity in the corner of the compartment. "If he doesn't fancy Lynch...D'you think he fancies Elizabeth?" Jason whispered to Timothy very slowly.

"I don't know. I don't think we will know anything until he grasped the fact that he is utterly oblivious."