The Greasy-Haired Potions Master

Y/N and Harry were the talk of the school. They had people stare out of classrooms at them, double back in the corridors to get another look, and even follow them to lessons. Y/N wished they wouldn't, because he was trying not to get lost.

Out of the 142 staircases at Hogwarts, Y/N had to remember around twenty. That wasn't easy, because they liked to move around.

The ghosts were no help either. They would glide through walls and scare Y/N constantly. Peeves was the worst of them. He would become invisible, grab the back of students' robes, and trip them.

Worse than Peeves, though, was the caretaker. Argus Filch was not someone you would want to cross. Y/N found that out quickly when Harry told him about Ron and his adventure on the third floor. Filch caught them trying to force their way through a door, a door which was unfortunately the one that students were forbidden to enter. Filch wouldn't believe that they were lost, and said that they would be doing detention in the dungeons for weeks. They were rescued by a passing Professor Quirrell, who talked Filch out of it somehow. Y/N didn't really believe that Quirrell was brave enough to stand up to Filch though.

The only thing keeping Y/N on track was Hermione. All he had to do was follow her, she seemed to know where she was going.

When Y/N managed to get to the classes, he found them quite easy. He and Hermione were easily some of the top students in the year, if not the top students. Harry and Ron didn't seem to approve of Hermione's know-it-all attitude, and thought that she was infecting Y/N. Y/N just ignored them when they said this.

Every Wednesday night at midnight, they had to study the stars and planets with Professor Sinestra. Three days a week the Gryffindors were out in the greenhouses with Professor Sprout for Herbology. In Herbology, they learned about all sorts of magical plants, their uses, and how to take care of them.

Y/N's least favorite class was History of Magic. Professor Binns, the only ghost teacher, droned on and on without stopping for almost the full class period.

One day, Professor Binns fell asleep in front of the staff room fire, and when he woke up to teach, he left his body behind.

Charms was a favorite of Y/N's, because he actually got to use spells. He hadn't actually done any yet, because they hadn't been taught any, but he knew they would.

Charms was taught by a short wizard named Flitwick. Professor Flitwick had to stand on a pile of books in order to see over his desk.

Y/N was right to believe that Professor McGonagall was not someone to cross. On the first day, after Harry and Ron had arrived late, she gave the class a talking-to.

"Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts," she said. "Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned."

After she finished her warning, she changed her desk into a pig and back. Y/N was extremely excited to start learning magic in the class, but a bit disappointed to find that they wouldn't be changing furniture into animals for a long time.

Professor McGonagall had them start off with turning matches into needles. Y/N and Hermione were the only people who could do anything. Hermione's went silver and Y/N's formed a sharp point at the end.

Defense Against the Dark Arts was the class that Y/N was looking forward to the most, but Quirrell's lessons turned out to be a bit of a joke. His classroom smelled like garlic to ward off a vampire who he met in Romania that Quirrell thought was hunting him, and he almost fainted when Seamus Finnigan, another Gryffindor first year, asked him how he fought off a zombie.