The Midnight Duel

On Monday morning, Y/N woke up at four o'clock. He couldn't get back to sleep, so he went down to the common room. On his way to sit down, he saw a post on the notice board that said flying lessons would be starting Thursday. Then, he saw something that he didn't like. They would be doing them with the Slytherins.

Just what Y/N needed, to embarrass himself on a broom in front of Malfoy.

Y/N walked the rest of the way over to the fire and sat in the armchair closest to it. He was sitting there for a few minutes before he heard a door open to his left. When he looked up, he saw a surprised Hermione standing in front of the girls' dormitory.

"What are you doing here?" Hermione asked.

"This is kind of the Gryffindor common room..." Y/N retorted.

"Well, I know that," Hermione made her way down and over to the fire. "But what're you doing?"

"I couldn't sleep, so I came down here."

"Oh."

"What're you doing here?"

"I couldn't sleep either, so I came to do homework."

Y/N chuckled.

"Why do they call it homework if we're still at school?" he asked. Hermione laughed and sat down opposite of him. She pulled out her Transfiguration essay and started on it.

"Hey, Y/N," Hermione said. "Can you come here for a minute? I need you to tell me if this would be good enough for Professor McGonagall."

Y/N walked over to her chair and sat down on the arm of it. He began to read what Hermione had written.

Suddenly Y/N fell from the chair's arm and next to Hermione. Hermione blushed and Y/N's face went red. Y/N's nose was hit with the nicest scent he'd ever smelled. It smelled like sweet flowers.

Y/N made to get up, but stopped when Hermione began talking.

"You don't have to get up," she said shyly. "You'll have a better view down here."

Hermione's face went more pink when Y/N fell back down into the chair.

The two worked on Hermione's essay for a few hours before they heard a door click. Y/N jumped up and went over to the chair he was in earlier. It was a good thing that he did, because Harry came down the stairs. He would rather not listen to Harry tease him.

*****

As Thursday approached, all of the first years grew more nervous about flying. They all dealt with their nervousness differently.

Draco Malfoy went around the school boasting about his flying abilities. His stories almost always ended in him narrowly escaping Muggles in helicopters.

Ron constantly told anyone who would listen about how be nearly hit a hang glider on his older brother Charlie's broom.

Hermione dug through every book on flying she could to get tips.

Neville listened to every word Hermione said about flying on Thursday morning at breakfast like his life depended on it. And, to be perfectly honest, it probably did.

When mail came that day, Neville received a round package from his grandmother. He unwrapped it excitedly and showed the Gryffindors around him a small glass ball filled with white smoke.

"It's a Remembrall!" Neville explained. "It tells you if you've forgotten something. If you hold it tight like this and the-" The white smoke inside of the ball turned red. "-oh."