Halloween

When Y/N woke up on Friday morning, he tried desperately to remember his dream about Hermione. He knew it was at school and he knew that they had talked about something, but he couldn't remember the rest.

Not being able to remember the dream dampened Y/N's mood, but at breakfast his mood was lifted by the look on Malfoy's face when he was still there.

When mail arrived, everyone who was in the Great Hall watched as a long, thin package flew across the room and landed in front of Y/N. He ripped open the letter first, which was extremely lucky.

DO NOT OPEN THE PARCEL AT THE TABLE.

It contains your new Nimbus 2000, but I don't want everybody knowing you've got a broomstick or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you tonight on the Quidditch field at seven o'clock for your first training session.

Professor McGonagall

Y/N had a hard time supressing his excitement, and Ron and Harry didn't even try.

"Wow! A Nimbus 2000!" Ron shouted. "I've never even touched one!"

"This. Is. Awesome!" Harry almost fell off of the bench.

It was lucky that the Great Hall was loud, or everyone would have flocked over to them.

Y/N picked up the package and left the table with Ron and Harry to unwrap it. At the door, the trio was blocked by Malfoy, who stole the package. He felt it for a moment before throwing it back to Y/N and adopting a look of jealousy and smugness on his face.

"That's a broomstick," he said. "You'll be in for it this time,
Potter. First years aren't allowed them."

"It's not any old broomstick," Ron couldn't resist boasting. "it's a Nimbus 2000. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy? A Comet 260? Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus."

"What would you know about it, Weasley? You couldn't afford half the handle," Malfoy snapped back. "I suppose you and your brothers have to save up twig by twig."

Ron went to throw a punch, but stopped when Professor Flitwick showed up.

"Not arguing, I hope, boys?" Flitwick squeaked.

"Potter's been sent a broomstick, Professor," said Malfoy quickly.

"Yes, yes, that's right," said Professor Flitwick, beaming at Y/N. "Professor McGonagall told me all about the special circumstances, Potter. And what model is it?"

"A Nimbus 2000, sir," Y/N answered, fighting the urge to laugh at the look of horror on Malfoy's face. "And it's really thanks to Malfoy here that I've got it."

The trio quickly left, not being able to hold back their laughter any longer.

When they reached the common room, Y/N called Hermione over from her homework. Ron and Harry didn't like this too much, given the incident from the previous night, but didn't say anything.

"Wow," Harry said when he saw the shiny broom.

"It's beautiful," Y/N was practically drooling.

Ron couldn't speak. He was at a loss for words over it's beauty.

Hermione, on the other hand, just saw a broom.

"It's just a new broom."

"Just a new broom? Just a new broom?!" Ron was deeply hurt by her words.

"I really don't see what's so special about it. Sure, it's shiny, and it may be fast, but it's really just a broom. It's the player that counts."

Hermione shot Y/N a smile as she said this and Y/N's face went slightly red. When the three boys were done drooling over the broom, Y/N put it under his four-poster and set off for lessons.