Finding Nicolas

Dumbledore had convinced Y/N to stop going to the Mirror of Erised, so the invisibility cloak stayed in his trunk for the remainder of the holidays. Y/N wished he could forget what he saw in the mirror, but it wasn't that easy. He constantly had nightmares about his parents dying in a flash of green light while someone with a high pitched voice cackled.

"See, even Dumbledore says that the mirror's gonna drive you mad," Ron said the next morning.

Hermione, who came back the day before term started, had her normal view of things. She was torn between horror at the idea of Y/N being out of bed and roaming the school three nights in a row, and disappointment that he hadn't at least found out who Nicolas Flamel was.

Y/N had decided to keep Hermione in the dark about him seeing her in the mirror, too, but thought that she may have taken another approach to the situation if she knew.

"We should go looking again," Hermione said.

"Yeah," Harry got up with Ron and started towards the portrait hole.

"Hey, Hermione, hang on a sec," said Y/N. Harry and Ron laughed as they exited, probably planning ways to embarrass Y/N with this.

"Okay, what do you need?" Hermione asked.

"Did you get what I sent you?"

"Oh! Yes, it's wonderful!" Hermione pulled a silver necklace from inside of her robes. It had a small, shiny pearl attached to it.

"Er - could you not say anything about that to Harry or Ron? They've got enough on me already."

"Wouldn't dream of it," Hermione walked out of the common room smiling. Y/N was right beside her.

They had almost given up hope of ever finding Flamel in a library book, even though Y/N was still sure he'd read the name somewhere.

Once term had started, they were back to skimming through books for ten minutes during their breaks. Y/N had even less time than the others, because Quidditch practice had started again.

Wood was working the team harder than ever. Even the endless rain that had replaced the snow couldn't dampen his spirits. The Weasleys complained that Wood was becoming a fanatic, but Y/N was on Wood's side. If they won their match against Hufflepuff, they would overtake Slytherin in the house championship for the first time in seven years. Along with wanting to win, Y/N found that he had fewer nightmares when he was tired out after training.

Then, during one particularly wet and muddy practice session, Wood gave the team a bit of bad news. He'd just gotten very angry with the Weasleys, who kept dive-bombing each other and pretending to fall off their brooms.

"Will you stop messing around?!" he yelled. "That's exactly the sort of thing that'll lose us the match! Snape's refereeing this time, and he'll be looking for any excuse to knock points off Gryffindor!"

George really did fall off his broom at these words.

"Snape's refereeing?" he spluttered through a mouthful of mud. "When's he ever refereed a Quidditch match? He's not going to be fair if we might overtake Slytherin."

The rest of the team landed next to George to complain too.

"It's not my fault," said Wood. "We've just got to make sure we play a clean game, so Snape hasn't got an excuse to pick on us."

Which was all very well, thought Y/N, but he had another reason for not wanting Snape near him while he was playing Quidditch.

The rest of the team hung back to talk to one another like normal at the end of practice, but Y/N headed straight back to the Gryffindor common room, where he found Ron and Hermione playing chess while Harry watched. Chess was the only thing Hermione ever lost at, something Harry and Ron thought was very good for her. Y/N couldn't bring himself to agree.