Your Heart's Desire

Christmas was almost here. The students of Hogwarts woke to find the grounds covered in several feet of snow. The Weasley twins had already been punished for bewitching snowballs to hit the back of Professor Quirrell's head, which Y/N found quite funny.

While the common room and the Great Hall had warm fires, the hallways and classrooms were cold. The worst of all of them was the Potions classroom. The students could see their breath rise in front of them.

Y/N would often catch himself staring at Hermione. He thought that she looked cute when she had a pink nose and rosy cheeks. Whenever she would catch him staring, he would quickly turn away. She didn't ask about it, which Y/N was thankful for.

What Y/N wasn't thankful for was the fact that Hermione was going home for the holidays. He was hoping that she would stay. Then, he could have delivered her Christmas present to her right away on Christmas. Ron and his brothers would be staying, because their parents were going to Romania, so at least he had them.

"I feel sorry for all of the kids staying at Hogwarts for Christmas because their families don't want them," Draco Malfoy had said during one of the Potions lessons. He had returned to making fun of the fact that the Dursleys didn't want them back after not getting any laughs about how a wide-mouthed tree frog would be replacing Y/N as Seeker. How Malfoy found out about the Dursleys, Y/N didn't know. What Y/N did know, however, was that Draco was jealous of his Seeker abilities. That made Y/N feel happy every time he was brought down by one of Malfoy's comments.

After they left the dungeons, the quartet found their path blocked by a huge tree being carried by a huge man.

"Hey, Hagrid," Harry said.

"Need any help?" asked Ron.

"Nah, I'm alrigh', thanks Ron," said Hagrid.

"Would you mind moving out of the way?" came Malfoy's voice from behind them. "Are you trying to earn some extra money, Weasley? Hoping to be gamekeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose. That hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family's used to."

"Malfoy, you'd better shut up if you know what's good for you," Ron threatened.

"What're you gonna do? Get dirt on me?"

Ron lunged at Malfoy, but as he made contact, Snape walked into the corridor.

"WEASLEY!"

Ron let go of the front of Malfoy's robes.

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," said Hagrid, sticking his face out from behind the tree. "Malfoy was insultin' his family."

"Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid," said Snape. "Five points from Gryffindor, Weasley, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you."

Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle pushed past the tree, scattering needles everywhere and smirking.

"I'll get him," said Ron, grinding his teeth at Malfoy's back, "one of these days, I'll get him-"

"I hate them both," said Y/N, "Malfoy and Snape."

"Come on, cheer up. It's nearly Christmas, after all," said Hagrid. "Tell yeh what, come with me an' see the Great Hall. Yeh'll like it."

The quartet walked behind Hagrid and into the Great Hall, only it didn't look like the Great Hall at all. It looked spectacular. Bunches of holly and mistletoe hung all over the walls, and no less than twelve humongous Christmas trees stood around the room, some sparkling with tiny icicles, some glittering with hundreds of candles.

Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick were busy finishing the Christmas decorations.

"Ah, Hagrid, the last tree. Put it in the far corner, would you?" asked Professor McGonagall.