A Creature in the Forest

All of Y/N's happiness drained from him.

Filch took them straight to Professor McGonagall's office. Y/N was trying to think of excuses, alibis, anything. Hermione was trembling. Harry looked like he was a ghost. How stupid were they to forget the cloak? Professor McGonagall wouldn't accept any reason for them being out of bed. If you added Norbert and the invisibility cloak, they might as well go pack their bags now.

Just when Y/N had thought that it couldn't get any worse, Professor McGonagall arrived with Neville Longbottom behind her.

"Harry! Y/N! Hermione!" Neville yelled the moment he saw them. "I was trying to find you! To warn you! I heard Malfoy saying he was going to catch you, he said you had a drag-"

Harry shook his head violently to make Neville shut up.

"I would never have believed it of any of you. Mr. Filch says you were up in the astronomy tower. It's one o'clock in the morning. Explain yourselves," Professor McGonagall looked like she was going to start breathing fire.

None of them could give her an answer. Not even Hermione.

"I think I've got a good idea of what's been going on," fumed Professor McGonagall. "It doesn't take a genius to work it out. You fed Draco Malfoy some cock-and-bull story about a dragon, trying to get him out of
bed and into trouble. I've already caught him. I suppose you think it's funny that Longbottom here heard the story and believed it, too?"

Y/N shook his head, but he couldn't bring himself to speak.

"I'm disgusted," said Professor McGonagall. "Five students out of bed in one night! I've never heard of such a thing before! You, Miss Granger, and you, Potter, I thought you had more sense. As for you, Mr. Potter, I thought Gryffindor meant more to you than this. All four of you will receive detentions - yes, you too, Mr. Longbottom, nothing gives you the right to walk around the school at night - and fifty points will be taken from Gryffindor."

"Fifty?!" Y/N shouted.

"Each," Professor McGonagall said.

"Professor, please!" Hermione pleaded.

"You can't!" said Harry.

"Do not tell me what I can and cannot do, Mr. Potter. Now, off to bed, all of you. I've never been more ashamed of Gryffindor students."

Two hundred points lost. Y/N hardly made it back to the common room, he felt like he was going to be sick. Hermione went up to the girls' dormitory without even saying goodnight.

Y/N could hear Neville sobbing into his pillow for hours, but couldn't think of any words to comfort him. He knew that he and Neville were thinking the same thing. What would happen when the other Gryffindors had found out what they'd done?

They found out the next morning at breakfast. At first, the Gryffindors thought that it was a mistake. How could that many points go missing in a single night? Then, the story got out. Y/N and Harry Potter, the famous Potter twins, along with a few other first years, had done it.

In one day, Y/N and Harry had gone from being the most popular kids in the school to the most hated. Even the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws turned on them. They were really looking forward to Slytherin losing the house cup.

Slytherins, on the other hand, clapped and cheered whenever Y/N or Harry would pass them.

"Thanks, Potter, we owe you one!" they would mock.

Y/N swore to never meddle in things that didn't involve him ever again. Harry didn't seem to take this as hard as Y/N, though. Y/N hardly left the boys' dormitory except to go to lessons. He stayed away from even Hermione.