Chapter 8 - Broken

"Oi Yamaguchi. You're messing all your serves." Tsukishima huffed.

"Sorry, I'm just a little tired.." He told and faked a smile, before looking over at Y/n and looking at her long and gloomy face.

'Why does she look sad.?' He thought to himself and looks at Yachi who was smiling happily, standing beside her. 'Could it be that...Yachi told her-'

His eyes widened and placed his hand over his mouth before looking back at them.

'No, this can't be. Why would she tell her..? And even if she did, Y/n wouldn't feel anything about it..unless...' He looks at Y/n and gasps softly. "Unless she loves me.." he whispered to himself, almost tearing up, realizing how hurt she must have been.

After the practice was over, everyone was leaving the gym, including Y/n, Yamaguchi wanted to catch up to her but Yachi came over to him instead.

"You remember that we have the assignment to do toni-"

She didn't finish her sentence when he just took his bag and ran out of the gym, but she was already gone. He sighed in defeat and knelt on the ground, rubbing his face with his hands then running it through his hair.

"What happened, Yamaguchi-kun...?" Yachi ran up behind him and asked.

Yamaguchi exhaled and stood up, pulling the strap of his bag over his shoulder, looking down at her with a small smile.

"I'm sorry, Yachi...I just, don't feel like doing it right now. Is it okay if we do it tomorrow..?" 

"Uh-Um.. Mhmm.." She looks down and nodded. "You didn't seem to be yourself earlier and you did say that you were tired." She smiles brightly at him. "Take rest for now."

He nods and smiled "Thank you for understanding."

"I'll get going then.." She said as she looked up at him, expecting for him to do something. He was clueless and looked at her while raising an eyebrow. "What?"

"What do people do when they are in love..hm?" She raised an eyebrow and asked as well.

"Huh?" 

She hugged him tight and nuzzled her face on his chest. "Good night. I love you." 

He was surprised but hugged her back to reduce the awkwardness. "Uh- Yeah! I'll see you tomorrow."

Upon reaching home, Y/n ran upstairs and locked the door before slamming her face on the pillow, letting all her feelings out. She cried her heart out that it was impossible for her to stop her tears at that moment.

Meanwhile, Yamaguchi was home too and he was attempting to call Y/n so many times, but to no avail. He sent her so many texts that were all unread. 

He felt miserable, guilty and sad that he made the one that he has hurt the one that he loves the most. The scene of what happened in the nurse's office and Y/n's pained face after that kept playing in his mind, and he couldn't stop his tears from falling. 

He let his phone slip from his hand as he sat on the edge of the bed, covering his face with his hands while he cried. 

"This was not supposed to happen.." He told himself. "All I wanted..was to...be happy with her. Like we always were.." He screamed in frustration and softly pulled his hair. "I'm sorry...Y/n."

The next few days were rough for both of them. Y/n kept her distance since she just assumed that Yachi and Yamaguchi were dating, knowing that her feelings will only grow the more time she spends with him. Yamaguchi always looks at her and even though they do make eye contact every now and then, All he could see was the pain in her eyes, that pierced his heart. 

His calls and texts were still left unattended, and he didn't know what else he could do to make her talk to him when she is ignoring him and is always finding ways to avoid being with him, either because of the errands or that she's 'busy' with something. At one point during the volleyball practice, he found out how Y/n saved up his name as in her phone since she left her phone and bag beside his for once.

Meanwhile Yamaguchi haven't given any comment regarding his relationship with Yachi, even though the rumour was spreading across the other classes like wildfire. In fact, he kept himself busy since he didn't want other people to think that there really isn't something that's going on in between them and kept things friendly and normal like they used to, although Yachi always assumed otherwise.

Few days later, Yamaguchi mustered up the courage to confront everything with her and decided to talk to her no matter what. After the school was over for the day and it was Y/n's turn to stay back and clean the classroom, Yamaguchi waited for everyone in the class to leave before closing the door, grabbing Y/n's attention.

"What are you doing?" She asked at him surprised, and slowly walked backward when she saw him walking towards her.

"Why are you doing this?" He asked and sighed, throwing his bag on the floor while standing in front of her.

"Huh..?" She stared at him.

"Why are you avoiding me? You aren't answering my calls or replying to my texts."

"Well..I.." Her eyes drifted to the floor before she felt her chin being pulled up to have her eyes met with his.

"Listen, Y/n-chan.. I know there's a lot going on, and you probably think that Yachi and I are dating."

"Isn't that the case..?" She sighed and looked away.

"ITS NOT!!" he raised his voice, while she widened her eyes and stared at him.

"I didn't want this, ok?? If only you were the one who came with me to the nurse's office, none of this would happen.. I wouldn't be in this mess!" 

"What..."

"You're the one I'm in love with. Not Yachi. What happened to us in that day, was supposed to happen with you and me. I was just so lost in the thought of you that I didn't realize.." He then looks at her and held her by her arms.

"I love you, from the day we met. It's been you, it's always been you, Y/n-chan..and I also know that you feel the same..." He smiled at her.

Y/n was happy to hear this but her heart didn't want to accept the fact. She felt her heart clench upon knowing how sad Yachi would be if she knew that he didn't like her back.

"I-I don't love you..." she muttered, making his smile fade.

"Say that again.." He demanded.

"I don't love you.." She repeated while looking away.

"You expect me to believe that? You think I don't know how you blush whenever you're around me? You even saved my name as 'My prince charming', didn't you..?" she widened her eyes and began to tear up.

"Yachi..is the on for you...I don't even think I like you." She felt a lump in her throat while she lied.

"Say that to me on my face. Look at me and tell me if that's what you really mean." He held her wristed and pulled her towards him.

"I.Don't.Love.You." She told while looking at him in the eyes. He widened his eyes and let her go, tearing up while he stared at her.

"I didn't expect you to do that..." He whispered before wiping his tears and quickly walking out of the classroom with his bag.