Chapter 11 - Sacrifice

Y/n went directly to the gym early in the morning the next day, since she was called to be there by Kiyoko. But to her surprise, no one else was there yet and the gym was locked. She sat in front of the gym door and waited for any one of them to show up.

"Are- Y/n-chan?" She looked up to see Yamaguchi standing in front of her, not expecting to see her early in the morning.

"Ah- Good morning, Tada-kun." She greeted.

"Good morning, beautiful." She blushed and he smiled, sitting beside her. "What a blessing to see your face, first thing in the morning." He leaned closer to her to take a good look at her features, while she looked away shyly.

"So..." He sighed loudly and looked up at the sky, making her look at him.

"Are you going to admit that you love me now?" He grinned at her.

"How many times do I have to tell you?" She frowned at him.

"Me too. How many times do I have to tell you that you're lying to yourself?" He pulled her chin up, making eye contact with her.

She just looked at him and stayed silent. He smiled before leaning over to give her a quick peck, letting her face go right after, making her look the other way.

"Would you rather have me stay for someone I'm not in love with..?" He asked out of the blue while looking ahead.

"I mean.." she looks down and trailed off.

He sighed. "Neither Yachi nor I am going to be happy, you know. I can't give her what she wants, because I want all that with you." He looks at her.

She looks at him, realizing what he said may be true. "But..." She frowned.

"Oi!! Y/n! Yamaguchi!" Tanaka called out as he waved at them. "Sorry for being late."

The gym was now open and slowly, everyone showed up, having a meeting by the coach and Kiyoko. For some reason, Y/n was thinking about what Yamaguchi just told her, spacing out into thoughts.

During the lunch break, Yamaguchi texted Yachi to come to the vending machine to meet him, to which she sent a positive reply.

Yamaguchi waited by the vending machine, waiting for Yachi and a few minutes later, she arrived.

"What is it that you want to talk about, Yamaguchi-kun..?" She asked.

"I'm sorry.." He started. "I should have said this on the day we kissed, but my mind was all over the place that I didn't know what to do." He looked away and she just looked up at him.

"I don't get you..."

"That confession, that kiss..wasn't meant for you, Yachi-chan...I'm sorry..."

Her eyes widened and she stared at him. "What do you mean...?"

"Y/n-chan is the one I'm in love with..since the day I met her." He looked at her. "You're pretty and a great person, but...I..." He looks away and runs his hand through his hair. "I'm sorry to hurt you.."

"I understand..." She looks down sadly. "That's why you were being distant from me..." She said and he nodded.

"I did think you didn't like me...but I never knew that what happened that day was a mistake.." she wiped her tears while he looked pitifully at her. "My feelings for you are real... But I'm okay with being friends with you too. I'm not complaining."

"I'm sorry..." He looks down.

"What about Y/n..?" She looks at him and wiped her tears.

"She isn't sharing what she feels about me." He looks away. "I know she feels the same, but she is keeping it to herself because she doesn't want to hurt you." He looks at her and sighed. 

"I see..." She giggled. "That's her. But don't worry, I'll make sure she admits that she loves you. Leave it to me!" She smiled and held her hand for a hi-5, to which Yamaguchi smiled and hi-5ed her.

That evening, Yachi called Y/n over to her place, while Yamaguchi went over to Y/n's place since Y/n told him that his mother asked for him to come over.

After reaching Yachi's home, Y/n and Yachi sat down on the couch, Y/n feeling uncomfortable with the tension that was being emitted from Yachi.

"What did you call me here for, Yachi..?"

"Do you have feelings for Yamaguchi-kun..?" She asked out of the blue while looking down.

"Uh..Yachi.."

"Answer me!"

"It's not something that needs consideration." She muttered, looking down at her hands.

Before she can think of anything else, she felt a blow across her face. She held her cheek with her hand, which was stinging in pain as she tears up and looks at Yachi, who was also tearing up.

"What kind of person are you?? To choose friendship over love...?" Yachi lets her tears flow before hugging her tight.

"Baka... You love him and still decided to sacrifice your love for the sake of mine.." She pulled away and smiled through the tears, holding her hands. "I'm so lucky to have a friend like you, Y/n.."

"I'm sorry.." Y/n cried, leaning on their hands as she cried.

"No, I'm sorry...I didn't realize that you both were in love, neither did I bother to ask you..." Yachi giggled, placing her head over Y/n's.

Over Y/n's home, Y/n's mother was treating Yamaguchi with dinner, and after he was done, he stepped out of her home only to be met with Y/n, who was about to enter her home.

"Y/n chan.." He smiled but it faded after noticing her red and puffy eyes. "Why-why were you crying??"

"Did you tell Yachi everything?" She asked and he nodded while looking away.

"I see..." She sighed and they both stayed in awkward silence for a while.

Y/n looked over at Yamaguchi, who gave her a small smile. "Good night.." She sniffed and entered her home, leaving Yamaguchi hanging.