Chapter 10 -Need

The next day, Yachi and Yamaguchi were early in the gym for the practice before everyone else. Yamaguchi looked at Yachi and thought that this would be the perfect opportunity for him to tell her the truth.

He held the ball in his hand and looked at Yachi, who was standing on the other side of the net, waiting for him to serve.

"Yachi-chan.." He sighed and walked over to her.

"Hm..? What is it, Yamaguchi-kun.." She looks at him and tilts his head.

"There is something that I need to tell you..." He looked down and scratched his head.

But before he could say anything, Hinata and Kageyama rushed in, breathing heavily, looking at each other and arguing on who came in first.

Yamaguchi pinched the bridge of his nose in annoyance, grunting softly at how things didn't work out as he wanted it to.

After the practice, Yachi and Yamaguchi were walking in the hallway to get to their classes, when Yamaguchi bumped into a guy who was in a rush.

"I'm sorry!" Yamaguchi said but the guy glared at him, his friends standing behind him as they ganged up on them.

"Can't you see and walk?" The guy walked to Yamaguchi and pushed him on the floor, Yachi running over and holding his arm.

As the guy walked closer to Yamaguchi to beat him up, he was interrupted with Y/n standing in front of Yamaguchi, to his surprise.

"Leave, before I notify the students' council about this." Y/n glared as she looked at the guy.

The guy just huffed and chuckled before turning around and walking away.

Meanwhile, Yachi noticed Y/n's was stained from behind, and so did Yamaguchi. Yamaguchi immediately stood up, breaking his arm free from Yachi's hold and swiftly hugged Y/n from behind, by wrapping his arms around her waist, catching both Y/n and Yachi in surprise.

"Tada-kun-" she tried to pull him away from her.

"Your skirt is stained." Yamaguchi cut her off and whispered in her ear, still staying in the back hug.

She widened her eyes while Yamaguchi acted quickly by moving one of his hands to the bag to grab for his jacket while the other still gently held her waist, wrapping the jacket around her right after.

"Yachi-chan, please" He looked at Yachi and she nodded, understanding what he meant, and took Y/n to the restroom.

Back at the class, Y/n wanted to thank Yamaguchi for what he did back then and looked over at Yamaguchi, who was looking at his book while resting his face on his hand.

After the bell rang, she walked over to Yamaguchi with his jacket and handed it out to him.

"Thank you.." she muttered while he looked at her and stood up.

"For what?" He asked and raised his eyebrow.

"For what you did for me, earlier today.." She looked up at him and he smiled while walking closer to her, kissing her forehead.

"You're welcome." He smiled widely at her while she blushed at his sudden sweet gesture.

"Hey, don't you think, Yachi would feel sad that you held me..?" she asked.

"What about it? Just like I told you, we're not dating. And it's not my fault that she assumes it like that." He shrugged. "I wanted to tell her the truth today but I couldn't." 

She nods and looks ahead while Yamaguchi looked at her and smirked.

"Y/n-chan, do you love me...?" He asked out of nowhere, giggling silently upon seeing her reaction of being flustered.

"H-huh?" she looked at him and blushed. "H-how many times do I have to tell you that I don't love you??" She looked away and frowned while crossing her arms, making him chuckled.

"Why are you laughing?" She looks at him, annoyed.

"Because.." He wipes a tear. "It's too cute to see you pretend hard to not have feelings for me..." He sighs in relief and looks at her. "Why are you lying to yourself?" He looks softly at her while slightly tilting his head.

"I'm not! Believe it or not, Yachi loves you, not me. And I'm not having any feelings for you." She huffed cutely and walks ahead of him, while he just stood there, adoring her.

"Believe it or not, you love me, Y/n-chan. I'll make you say it." He told loud enough for her to hear.

During the evening practice, Yachi and Y/n stood together with Kiyoko as they split into two teams to practice, pretty proud and happy regarding the boy's progress.

After their first set, while they were having a small break, Yamaguchi looked over at the girls to see them conversing and smiled before bending over to tie his shoelaces.

"Ughh.. I really want to have ice-cream right now." He heard Y/n's voice and stood up with a small laugh.

After the practice was over and everyone including Y/n were leaving the gym, Yamaguchi ran up to her.

"Y/n-chan, can you come with me..?" He asked.

"At this time? Where do you wanna go to..?" She asked curiously.

"To the convenience store. Just needed help with something. Pretty please?" 

Y/n looked at him and nodded. 'Why am I so soft when it comes to him...?' she thought and huffed.

Upon reaching the convenience store, Yamaguchi bought a couple of snacks that he knows she likes before walking out of the store with her.

"Here." He told, giving her the bag.

She stood and stared at before blinking, not being able to figure out what was happening.

"Take.It" He repeated and held her hand out, making her hold the bag.

"What is this for?" She asked.

"You wanted ice-cream, didn't you?" He smiled and rubbed the back of his neck while looking away. "I heard you telling Yachi..also I got some other snacks for you, just in case.." He smiled with a shrug.

Y/n widened her eyes and gasped, looking at him with soft eyes.

"I...Uhh..Thank you." She looked down and blushed in embarrassment.

He let out a small laugh before looking at her.

"You don't have to be embarrassed. I do this for my mother too so it is not something new for me."

"I'm sorry, I'll pay you back as soon as I can." She looks at him.

"Ahh..no need for that really. I don't need money, I only need you." He looked at her with a smile while holding her hand. "now, let's go."