III - Red

A few weeks had passed and Yi was getting nowhere with Eren. He was still reluctant and cold to her. Usually her cold patients would have already warmed up to her, but not him. But she didn't mind. Everyone was different and Eren must have been very distrusting with Marleyans. But one day he told her that he wanted to walk.

Yi brought him a pair of wooden crutches. They were old and scratched up from years of use. "I'm sorry, it's the best I could get. We're severely understaffed at this hospital." Eren inspected them but didn't seem to mind the dirt.

"It's okay...thank you." he said timidly. Yi smiled and helped him up. He stumbled a little at first but quickly got the hang of crutches. Even though he was cold he was slowly opening up to her. Everyday he started to speak more and even spoke with a few of the fellow patients. His recovery was also going really well. He was healthy enough to be transferred to a new wing of the hospital where recovering patients stayed.

Eren cleared his throat and spoke first for the first time, "How old are you?"

"Didn't anyone ever tell you that it was rude to ask a woman's age?"

"No. My mom died when I was nine."

Yi's happy smile changed into a mortified expression, "I'm so sorry! I didn't me-"

And for the first time since she met him, he cracked a smile. "It's okay." his smile looked sad more than happy. A melancholy smile filled with pain and death. Yi pitied him. He was so young and still had so much life to live.

"I'm twenty." she answered.

===

Walking home from the hospital was always the hardest part of her day. Working in a shitty hospital didn't pay very well which meant that Yi could only afford an apartment in a bad neighborhood of Liberio. Her apartment was literally two blocks away from the entrance of the internment zone. Fortunately, her walk from the hospital to her apartment was only a few minutes. But anything could happen in a few minutes.

Yi left the hospital late as she had to stay with another patient who refused to eat if she wasn't there. She didn't mind though, it was her job. But now it was late and as the weather turned colder, the days became shorter. It was now dark and she could barely see the dimly illuminated street.

She was always weary when walking home at night. She clutched her bag tightly just in case. Of course, nothing would most likely happen to her. But she was wrong. The street was deserted except for her and the person behind her. She could hear their breathing and heavy steps and concluded that they belonged to a man.

Yi quickly crossed the street and headed back to the hospital. She couldn't head home if someone was following her.

As her pace quickened, so did the man's. She didn't care anymore, she started to sprint down the street. She could go back to the hospital and pretend that she forgot something and call the police.

She was almost at the hospital gates when her hair was yanked back. She mentally cursed herself for having such long hair. Her attacker gripped it tightly and wrapped his arm around her chest. She squirmed, trying to escape him.

"Awww princess, where are you going?" he asked creepily. He licked behind her ear and she cringed away.

"Let me go you bastard!" Yi leaned forward and used the momentum to fling herself back, making her attacker fall onto his back and let her go. She started to run but didn't get very far until she was pulled back. Yi quickly turned around and kneed him in the groin and punched his face.

"Fuck! You bitch!" he yelled. He swung at her, it was obvious that he wasn't experienced. A petty criminal at best. Much better people have tried to kidnap her before and they all failed.

Yi kicked him powerfully in the side and he fell onto the ground. But he was stubborn and got back up. "You know how much you'll be on the market? I'm gonna be rich!"

"In your dreams creep." She had learned how to defend herself from her parents and later taught herself when they died. Yi jumped and kicked him in the head and jabbed his throat. A streak of blood ran down his face as he once again got up. "You just don't know when to quit."

She had been holding herself back but she couldn't any longer. Yi grabbed the back of his neck and slammed it onto the pavement. She couldn't stop herself and kept slamming it. He begged her to stop and apologized but she didn't listen. She only saw red and wanted, no, needed to see his brains on the ground.

His cries of pain were deaf to her ears. The street was deserted and dark, no one would come save him. She didn't know when but his screams eventually stopped, but she didn't. Once Yi snapped out of it she looked down in horror at what she had done. She killed a man in such a brutal way.

The horror at the bloody site came first. Who would do such a horrible thing to a person? To give them a slow and painful death in public. It might as well have been a public execution. Parts of his brain littered the body, he no longer had a head, it was smashed in and only half of his skull remained. Fragments of bone surrounded her. The man was unidentifiable.

Then came the realization. The realization that she had done it. That she had killed him. With her bare hands. She looked down to see that they were stained red. Chunks of his brain and skull were stuck underneath her nails. Yi yelped. She did this? A small Eastern girl who was barely an adult killed a full grown man. It didn't matter what he did before to her. No one deserved to die in this way.

Not again...

lol i'm in school rn

Let me know what you thought of this chapter! As always, constructive criticism is appreciated!

Who's your favorite character in AOT? Mine is probably Levi