2. Old Wounds

I crack a slight smile at the new barista and he looks confused but also surprised. The coffee tastes good. Can't say I have had a better caramel mocha. It brings out the flavor and I needed that extra dose of caffeine. Haven't gotten a good night's sleep for the past few days. Maybe I should ask the new guy to make my usual? Once I had Bruno make it when he started working and he messed it up so bad I couldn't physically drink it. He ruined the flavor for the next few weeks.

Maybe I should have grabbed a muffin with it? No, I don't have time to relax.

I went back to my usual spot where my laptop sat. The atmosphere here is great. To be honest, it is the only normal thing about my life. Near the back, clear view of the window, nobody can see my screen and there is a plant next to me. I would call the plant Greg but that would make me look like an insane person.

Sipping the coffee slowly and throwing the last scan around the room to make sure nobody is paying me too much attention, I open the other browser on my device.

The new barista is looking at me more than anyone else.

The coffee is laced with something, throw it out!

No, I haven't seen the grey shirts or anyone else who might be active around these parts. He can't be one of them, can he? I glance at my coffee and open the lid. No traces of powders or anything. I am just being paranoid.

I log onto the dark web chat room we use almost every day. Can't say we aren't secretive but there is no other way. I have my reasons and fears and so do the others. The government has its grubby paws on every inch of the Internet. We aren't the most tolerated people in society...

BigA has joined the chat.

I can see KillerKitty and DarkWolf69 are there as well. Wolf and Kitty are my only real friends who look out for me. They can be rude, annoying, and sometimes overbearing but they are there for me. I am still waiting for Kitty to give me any news.

Careful around her. She will betray you.

I trust her with my life. She has been there when no one else was. I am here and still a free man due to her efforts.

It is 10:04 AM. I am right on time even if I am a bit late. As long as I am sooner than Darren.

DarkWolf69: Whts Poppin ma friend?!??

KillerKitty: Well, nice of you to join us, A.

I can't help but smirk. Two different people joined together by a cause. How did the three of us meet? Doesn't matter but it makes me wonder. The world is filled with strange people and stranger things. People come together to fight injustice and the sort.

BigA: Anything interesting?

Got to take care of the simple things before Darren shows up and sends us the usual file. Kitty and I haven't finished our little project and he won't give any good news. Can't be sure about Wolf as he always has something that catches our attention.

KillerKitty: Nothing to warrant your involvement, A. Black market scandals, etc.

DarkWolf69: Same here but The grey shits are riled up tho. Idk y.

What a surprise. But the SBC being so worked up about something reminds me of today's morning news. Some holders and their associates were apprehended. I guess I'll have to ask them about it.

BigA: I heard in the news that some holders were captured. Your people, Wolf?

DarkWolf69: Nah I am up north.

DarkWolf69: Gotta go and party and make connections. Ya know?

KillerKitty: What do you mean? Captured?