Fourteen

I groaned and moved my stiff body from the uncomfortable position; I stopped mid-way, feeling something heavy around my leg. That's when the pain erupted.

I hissed out and opened my eyes to find a white ceiling. The brightness was blinding and I squinted until I retrieved my vision back. It was then I realized that I was not at home; I didn't know where I was. The throbbing pain was still there and I gasped out feeling something around my chest to my abdomen. It was tight and felt very icky.

"Ava, are you alright?" I turned my head seeing Violet sitting on a plastic chair.

"Wha-" I coughed tasting medicine desperately needing water. Thankfully Violet got my message and put a straw in my mouth.

"Thank you," I said finally feeling somewhat better now that my throat was clear for the grogginess. "What happened?"

"You were attacked by a rogue."

I remember now. Going to lunch with Noah, me shifting then being chased by a wolf, and then being attacked.

"Why did you shift? You know you can't do that. It's against the rules for now. You know what happened to Emily's dad."

"I know but-"

There was a sudden knock on the door bringing us to a halt in our conversation. Xavier came into the room and stared at me deeply, never shifting his eyes away from mine every step he took into the room.

His eyes were red and looked tired, and once he saw me he visibly relaxed. I couldn't lie and say that I wasn't relived to see him. There was a longing feeling of me being in his arms but I quickly threw that thought away. I made a promise.

I cleared my throat and focused my attention on Violet. "Do you know what the doctor said?"

"You have a broken leg, mild concussion, a long gash across your body and would scar eventually once it's healed."

I nodded silently feeling uncomfortable with them both staring at me.

"I was worried," Violet whispered, "And I'm sorry. For being a bad sister, f-for not being there for you, I don't know I'm just- I'm sorry."

"Violet I forgive you and you didn't have to be worried-"

"Yes I did, you're my sister how could I not? From now on, I'm going to try to mend things with our family. We haven't been treating you right, like a part of our family."

I nodded silently hugging myself self-consciously. Though I was thankful for her saying that, I didn't think it would work anyways. It's already been years since I was ever close to our family and it would just be awkward to all the sudden join in.

"Let me get the doctor so he can switch your pad that's around your body." Violet got up quietly and left the room with a small smile directed my way.

It was quite for a few moments with just Xavier standing there looking lost. It made me uncomfortable and I didn't know what to say so I just stayed quite.

It looked like he wanted to say something but closed his mouth and shook his head. I sighed and laid my head on the pillow and stared at the ceiling.

"I'm sorry."

I almost didn't hear it and I looked up seeing Xavier next to me. I furrowed my eyebrows, confused.

"Your sorry for what?" I whispered staring up at him.

He shoved a hand through his hair and groaned. He bent down and carefully brought me close to him without our bodies touching. His lips met mine and I welcomed it not caring that Violet could enter any moment.

"What would I do without you?"
He mumbled against our lips.

I enter-wined my fingers in his dark locks and he groaned deepening the kiss. My heart was beating fast against my chest and giving my butterflies in my stomach.

"I couldn't find the doctor but-"

I pushed Xavier away from me who was breathing heavily. Violet stood there shocked and I felt guilty.

"I-I" She stuttered with tears in her eyes and then ran out the door.

"Violet wait!" I yelled.

Xavier ran after her calling out her name and I just sat there feeling hopeless. This is all my fault.