Six

Six

"Ava!!" My mother yells, interrupting us while Drake and I talked about life.

Jumping up blushing furiously, I moved my hair in my face as a shield from her penetrating stare. "Yes?" I croaked out nervously.

"Let's go."

I frowned at her wondering where she wanted to go, "Where?"

"Ava I said let's go. You don't need to question me."

"Sorry," she looked down at her feet but remembered that Drake was still standing there, " Drake, I hope to see you at my party?"

When I asked him, I didn't know what I was asking him to do. He probably had better things to do than to attend my party. But deep inside of me, I still hoped that he would say yes.

"Of course," he smiled warmly, "I'll be there."

"Okay, see you later" she smiled back.

"Who's that kid?"

She turned so she was facing her.
"Huh? You mean Drake? He is just a friend."

"You have friends?" Her mother threw back her head in a laugh that was intended to hurt her.

"Uh yeah?"

"I find that hard to believe."

She really wanted to defend herself, but she deemed it a more reason for her mother to hate her. I didn't have as much friends as Violet but at least I had true friends.

We walked in silence back to the group to take more pictures. I didn't get why I even had to come. They only took pictures of Violet anyways so what was the point? Sure when the family took a group photo I got to be in one of them. And I'm not kidding when I just say one.

It was about an hour later that they finally stopped taking photos of Violet. I was confused as to why it even took that long.

Maybe it had to do with the fact that every damn picture they even took of her, Violet would scream demanding to see how she looked and if she didn't like it, she would hit the photographer yelling at him that his camera was broken.

Of course they made the photographer go get another camera for every five shots and I would always give him a sympathetic or uneasy smile. I think he learned from the last few times he was our photographer. He did buy some new cameras.

Her mom told her to walk with him to make sure he didn't leave since the last time it took him twenty minutes to get another camera. She almost laughed out loud if he actually did just that. She wouldn't have blamed him, that's for sure.

"Your family is crazy, no offense," he said walking beside her.

"I know," she sighed looking ahead to see his white van parked by the trees that surrounded us.

"Why aren't I taking any pictures of you? It is also your birthday, no?"

She nodded her head and could feel her cheeks warm.

"Uh yeah...."

He motioned for me to stop by a tree and she awkwardly stood there trying to smile but she was sure it looked more like a grimace.

He put down his camera from his eye. "Loosen up. It's your what? Twenty-first birthday right?" She nodded. "Then you should be happy and care free!"