Chapter 3: One Decision

That was the last night that Adaline was going to see Simon, and it made her sick to her core. She was going to have to say goodbye to him for who knew how long and didn't work properly the entire day. Though she tried to concentrate on staying inside her designated tent, she couldn't help but have a stroll outside at night during the usual campfire time.

"Hey!" Simon exclaimed when he saw her approaching him standing near the fire, warming his hands up against the heat. "Wasn't expecting to see you here tonight. Considering...."

She wrapped a comfortable shawl around her to keep the chills out. "I wasn't sure that I was going to come either."

He beckoned for her to sit down in their usual place against their favourite tree and they shared her long shawl. She sighed in relief as she took in every little detail of that moment. "What are you thinking?" He asked when she started to nibble her lips.

"Nothing."

He gently poked her arm with his elbow. "Come on."

"It's just...." She forced herself to turn her head left and look into his blue eyes, which seemed darker against the light of the fire, which only contrasted his light hair. "I can't believe that you will be leaving soon."

"I need to get chosen first, Lady Addy."

She smirked at his pet name for her. She only allowed him to call her that way, and that was only when they were together. "We would be fooling ourselves if they don't choose you. You are the best trainer in the entire country. They would be stupid to not choose you."

"Thank you," he said. "For everything."

She looped her arm around his and rested her head on his shoulders. "Your shoulder is the best pillow ever. Did you know that?"

He broke out laughing. "I know." He smiled. "Are you okay? You don't seem to mind the-"

"I'm only comfortable with you and father and you know that," she revealed. "You know that I don't like it when...." A shudder went down her spine. "What am I going to do when you leave? You are the only one who knows me."

"Adaline," he started. "there is someone out there who is going to make the great Adaline turn her head and believe me. It is going to be worth it."

"Do you always give advice or is tonight special?" She asked, looking up at him.

"I'm special," he joked.

They sat in silence for some time as they watched the flames of the fireplace play with the surrounding air

They sat in silence for some time as they watched the flames of the fireplace play with the surrounding air. "I was thinking about how fire is the most beautiful thing to exist and yet, it can cause destruction with just one touch," she revealed.

"Would you rather be looking at the ocean?"

"I know you would," she scoffed.

"Oh definitely!" He sighed at the memories that flooded him. He missed the ocean and the smell of salt in the air. He wished that his life had been different but he wouldn't have changed anything. He didn't want to think about what could have been because nothing good would come out of it.