Chapter 37: The Hand

"What are you doing, Ramina?" Adaline's eyes were wide open because her best friend was in danger. The knife threatened to pierce through his throat at any moment, but something told her that it wasn't the intention.

"What I am destined to do."

Adaline did not have time to think about what that meant. All she wanted was for Simon to be in the hands of safety. "Ramina-"

"I'm not going to hurt him."

"Yeah? Doesn't look so since you are the one holding a knife to his throat." She couldn't help the sarcasm from taking over. "What do you want?"

There was a fear in those hazel eyes. She was fearing something....or someone. Ramina was scared for the plan to go off the rails because she had only one shot at it. She needed the next few moments to go well because if they didn't, the entire world would be in danger.

"For you to come with me."

Adaline scoffed. "I've been with you this entire time." She tried to slow Ramina's heartbeat but the latter was quite clever.

"Do not try to use your powers, koroleva madraya."

Adaline's breathing stopped. The train of thought running in her head crashed before it ever reached the station. "What did you just call me?"

"We always end up here. I should have known that nothing would be different. I should have-"

"What are you talking about? We've never met each other before!"

"Haven't we?" She let out a shaky breath. "You wouldn't remember me, Adaline. That was the fate you chose. But we always find ourselves here. We were destined to be here." She used the back of her blade and hit Simon's head to knock him out. He fell on the ground as the pain took over his body and though Adaline wanted to use her powers, she was bound by family. "Start walking."

Adaline tried to protest and use her powers but Ramina held the knife to her throat next. "Please." She said with a shaky breath. "Please cooperate."

Ramina held a knife to Adaline's back as they started to walk towards the waterfall. "What are you doing?"

"Following your orders."

Adaline did not have time to think. She had to figure out a way to best Ramina and save Simon and herself. Ramina was an absolute psycho. She shouldn't have trusted her. "You don't have to do this, Ramina. You can take me back to the castle. I'm sure that the Lantsovs will pay you well-"

"Stop it, yunejhost." They had reached the edge of the waterfalls. "Sit." She ordered, holding the blade with a firm grip.

Adaline sat down facing the water in the pond. She saw her reflection on the surface of the water. "What are you going to do?"

"What I have to." She gripped Adaline's neck, making her scared to her very core. Adaline couldn't shout for help, she couldn't run. "Take a deep breath, madraya. Things are going to change for the better."

With that, Ramina pushed Adaline's head into the water.

Adaline felt the cold of the water for one second but in the blink of an eye, she was standing in a room. There were people running here and there with towels in their hand. One maid was having bloodied towels in the bucket that she held in her hands.

"Push, lapushka. Push, my love." A young man held a woman's hand in his as he stood beside her bed. Adaline leaned forward to see a pregnant woman giving birth.

"Only one more push, Lady Dominik." It was unmistakably a Grisha who was helping in the process of childbirth - a Healer.

Adaline's breath was taken away from her. She was seeing herself being born, but how could that be possible?

The cry of the baby brought her out of the confusion. The baby was of the average size and was covered in blood. The Healer cut the placenta and started to clean the baby. He wrapped her in a white towel and handed her to her father. "Congratulations. A baby girl!"

Lord Dominik held the baby carefully. "Oh, she's beautiful!"

"What have you decided to name her?"

The Lord looked at the Grisha. "The name that has been sacred throughout the world." He said. "Isabella. She will be known as Isabella Dominik."

The scene suddenly shifted. It was as though she was phasing through the two locations. She was standing in the outer fields of the Little Palace. Two children were playing catch in front of her. In the outskirts stood the unmistakable Lord and Lady Dominik and the Lantsov Rulers.

Adaline gasped when she realised who the children were. These were her stolen memories.

The boy and the girl were making fun of each other as the girl taunted him into catching her. "You'll never be able to catch me, Goldilocks."

"Your words mean nothing, Doe Eyes."

The children were giggling as both of them tripped in the rough terrain. "Told you!"

The scene in front of her eyes shifted once again

The scene in front of her eyes shifted once again. She was standing in the dark woods. Thunder cracked in the sky above her. There was a storm coming. It filled the town and was making its way to the forest.

She saw the faint light of a carriage passing by. She could hear the three individuals inside - the Dominiks. "Are you sure we can get through this? It's really late."

"Don't worry. We'll be safe. Make sure that Bella is sleeping. We don't want her to be scared of the dark."

There was a skidding sound of the wheels of the carriage and when Adaline turned her attention to that, she saw a majestic stag in front of the vehicle. A lightning hit the tree nearby, spreading electricity through the roots as the carriage fell sideways into the forest floor.

Adaline could hear the whimpering of the child that struggled to get out. She had hurt her head in the crash and was looking around, confused as to where she was. The white stag made his way towards her.

"Frank?" The child asked as she tried to stand on her own two feet, but the impact of the fall engulfed her as she lost consciousness and fell into the dark embrace of sleep.

The stag managed to catch her before she fell and made her lie on his back. It was tough to do so, but he managed it. It was a miracle that he was able to do that but she was important. She needed to be kept safe. It was too late for the others, but she had another chance at her new life.

The stag knew who he was and who she was. They had met so many times, he could never forget her eyes. She was always the innocent victim that cared for him. He would do his best in saving her.

The voice of Ramina broke through the vision. "That's not all. Look further. Look back. Find yourself."