Chapter 3

"CATO WAIT!" I rushed to go find him. Did I really want to find him though? I mean we haven't been talking to each other for a while now. And only uptil this moment did he ask to befriend me. UGH! What am I supposed to do? If I talk to him now, he will think that I'm not mad at him anymore. But if I don't, I won't have his protection. Which I have to admit, he could be useful to me. I might need a strong man like him to be by my side during the arena. You know? Just in case something bad happens in the middle of the night and we could take turns on who gets to watch over the other sleep- Anyways, I ran outside of my room but couldn't find a trace of Cato anywhere. He vanished out of thin air. I kept looking and then realized that he must've been on the train and was waiting for my arrival for it to start moving.  On the train, Cato wouldn't even take one look at me. If he did, he would look away before I had the time to point it out. We met with our mentors, Enobaria and Brutus. Enobaria was strange looking, she had very sharp teeth, some would say it looked like she had shark teeth. Brutus on the other hand, was tall and wore a sleeveless shirt to show off his freakishly big muscles. If I ever got caught in a fight with one of them. I would 100% need to be accompanied by someone. With the help of someone else, we could definitely pull off that fight. "So, what kind of skills do you guys have?" Brutus asked while Enobaria kept checking out Cato. Since Cato didn't look like he was gonna answer first, I said "I always carry a knife wherever I go, so you can probably guess what weapon I fancy." I tried to act like I cared, but all I could think about was Cato. Did he really want to become friends? My thoughts were interrupted by the flirtatious Enobaria,"What about you, handsome?" Cato didn't seem to care much for her or about what she was saying and just responded softly, "I'm strong."  If you didn't know Cato, at this moment, you'd probably think that he was shy. In reality, he is nothing but a prideful born leader. "We could definitely use that" Enobaria looked at him from top to bottom then messed with his hair. "Stop! That bothers him." I screeched and she put her hand down. "What are you doing anyways? Aren't you supposed to be our mentor??" No one said anything, only then did Cato gawk at me to mouth the words "thank you" I nodded as a form of response, but didn't understand why he didn't do something before. Then it hit me. He wanted me to do that. To show that I really cared for him. I rolled my eyes "You disgust me" I scowled at everyone in that room then darted my way to the back of the train. A couple minutes passed by. I sat down all alone, pondering my thoughts about Cato, still. I didn't want to think about him. All I wanted to do was go in the arena, and get it over with, so I wouldn't have to deal with the lingering thought of us being together. Suddenly, Cato appeared. He was happier to see me then he was before. "So, it turns out that Enobaria was kind of drunk and she's sorry if she caused you any trouble." Now that was a relief. "Oh, good. Thanks for telling me then." I tried to manage a smile. "Yeah, of course. I also wanted to check up on you after that little outburst of yours." "I'm fine, how about you? Why didn't you do anything to protect yourself from her though?" I could see Cato was trying to form a response by the expression on his face. "Well, I was just trying to see if...uhm..." he trailed off. "Cato, I know that you were just trying to figure out if I cared about you." right after I said that he looked shocked, then it turned calm, "I figured you would have figured it out." he had the cutest smile on his face. "You are such a pain Cato Hadly." I playfully punched him, "Ouch! A little too hard Clover." that was a nickname he gave me when we first met. "Sorry" I caressed the place where I had punched him for a bit then we both laughed. After the laughing came to a halt, we stared into each other's eyes for a moment. His beautiful blue eyes lit up, and I started to lean in for a kiss--When Stupid Brutus charged in. "I think that the whole Enobaria situation is resolved. You are now free to go back to the front of the train. We're about to get off soon." Cato and I had separated by now and just nodded our heads as he left. Cato turned to me "Well then, do you think we can be friends?" he pulled out a hand, "Okay, but I still hate you." and reluctantly, shook his hand. "Don't worry, I know. I hate you too if you didn't notice" We both walked towards the front of the train to join our mentors. "Hey, Clove, Cato? I am so sorry about what I did, that was very unprofessional of me. I took a few shots before I came here this morning because I wasn't really prepared for today. Let's just pretend like it never happened and concentrate on your winning strategy." Right. How could I forget? We were about to enter the Hunger Games, in only a few days.