Chapter 4

I had to concentrate on winning. How though? I wasn't tall and wasn't really strong,all I knew was how to throw a knife. I could aim for someone from a mile away and wouldn't miss. My brother taught me how to, and we would both train every Monday, in the academy center after hours. Other than that, I had nothing else that could be useful to me in the games. I guess I'll just have to make allies with the right kind of people. Cato was already in the bag, and I would have to wait and see about the other tributes in the training center. The train came to a halt, Cato, the mentors and I walked to the platform. All around us were capital citizens, dressed up like mardi gras threw up on  them, they were staring at us. Taunting us. Preparing us like meat about to be put on a silver platter. I started to panic a bit. Oh my goodness, what had I gotten myself into! In only a matter of weeks, I would be dead. Surely.
Since I didn't want to seem like a puny 14 year old, I needed to hide my fear of death. But apparently, I was making it very obvious because Cato came closer to me and gave my hand a tight squeeze. Both Cato and I waved at the crowd as we walked to the capitol building. The second we set foot in the building, I shot my hand right out of Cato's. I didn't want him to think I actually enjoyed his consolation, for once.
The rest of the day had gone in a flash. We met with our stylists, and had the chance to meet with the tributes from districts 1 and 4. Although we weren't supposed to meet before tomorrow, our mentors thought it would be best if we were acquainted with them beforehand. Since they were careers as well, I said to myself that this was the best opportunity to make alliances. So, here are the choices. The girl from 1 looked like a lifesize barbie. She was wearing a dark green dress, but I can imagine by the time the interviews came around, she would be wearing pink! " I'm not that bad with a bow and arrow." she stated. Enobria and Brutus wanted us to tell our strengths to each other in our little group they forced us to be a part of. Everyone took their turn. By the time we had all finished, it was nearly dark. We headed to our rooms then got dressed in our nightwear. My nightgown was made of silk. Soft as a baby. The dress was a bit big for me. It would lag on the ground which made it hard for me not to step on it from now and then. I walked into the next room to see Cato and the mentors waiting at a table full of a delicious buffet. I quickly sat down, and we all started feasting on the food. I knew I had to make myself a bit more plump before I didn't have the possibility to. I had to eat every last bite. I could tell, Cato was thinking the same thing as he ate faster than me. After dinner, Brutus told us that tomorrow, the gamemakers would be giving us a score out of 12 and we would be lucky if we at least got an eight. That's all he said before we departed back to our rooms.
I couldn't sleep though. How could I? Not after the day I just had. It was one of the best days I've ever had. How depressing, that it turned out to be one of the days before I reached sudden death. I'm not gonna die, I'm not gonna die, I kept repeating in my head, I have to win. Do it for Alby. Do it for mom. She needs you to win. Otherwise, she'll have practically nothing left.
I lied there in my bed, eyes wide awake. I couldn't just lie here. So I went to get some tea in the kitchen, to calm myself down from everything.
To my surprise, I found Malibu Barbie, sneaking up on Cato. "Uhum?" I crossed my arms, waiting for an explanation. Startled, she turned around and fell. "Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry! Did I wake you?" She said as she got back up. All I could do was stare at her like she was a psychopath. "Hello, again. Glitter, was it?" she looked confused but then pulled out a hand "No, its Glimmer." I declined her handshake, " Well that's not much better" I mumbled under my breath, "Anyways, would you care to tell me why you are here at 2 o'clock in the morning?"
"Cato lent me a pen earlier and he asked me if I could bring it back to him."
"Where's his pen?'
"Oh, I put it on his bedside table"
She was hesitant, I don't think I can trust her just yet.
"Would you mind if I went to go see?"
"NO!... I mean I want him to know that I gave it back to him, personally," she said with a strange laugh.
"Okay, look.", I turned to her with a straight face. "You and I both know why you're really here. Just stay away from him, he's not yours to take."
At first she acted innocent, then she whispered in my ear."Wanna bet?"
As she backed away from me, I responded with,
"You're on." Glimmer walked out the door
I heard grunting noises from Catos room, so I walked in to find a pen was sitting on his desk.
She wasn't lying. Or maybe she was telling half of the truth
"What was that all about?" Cato yanned, half asleep.
"Oh, nothing. It was just the girl from 1, returning your pen."
"At 2 in the morning?"
"Yup, guess she couldn't sleep. I can't either."
He didn't seem to care that much, "Oh,okay you should try to get some sleep though. We have a long week ahead of us" as soon as he finished his sentence, he drifted off to sleep.
I made tea, and soon after followed.