CHAPTER 13

15 YEARS EARLIER, DR.'S EVALUATION

Patient: Melissa Manigault

Age: 12

Date: September 23, 2000

Time: 1400

DOCTOR'S LOG

I have a new patient by the name of Melissa Manigault, other wise known as Mel. Italian American age 12. She has been referred to me by the group home she is presently living in. Her parents abandoned her when she was at the age of seven. She was left with an uncle and aunt. Both uncle and aunt were abusive to her the short time she was in their custody. The aunt died when Melissa was nine and the uncle died a year later. She became a ward of the state and has been here ever since.

I have been given the task to evaluate her mental state of mind. Melissa has been brought to my office for Psychiatric Evaluation. She was involved in an assault where she stabbed a young man her age with a pencil causing him to loose an eye. Reports state that they were in a relationship. For what ever the reason, the young man ended the relationship. The stabbing was in retaliation for the relationship ending.

I have evaluated Melissa over the past several months and have come to the conclusion that her type of personality suffers from severe abandonment issues which results in obsessive attachment or misplaced attachment disorder. In light of her past when someone comes into her life she attaches herself to them looking for the love she never had with her parents. Her degree of attachment is unhealthy and does boarder obsessive behavior that can result in aggression that may be violent.

My recommendation is not the juvenile penal system but continued therapy with my office, for a length of time to be determined by the progress of the patient.