Klaroline: Surprise

A/N: Credit goes to aint-no-baby-mama-drama on Tumblr.

If there was one thing that Klaus Mikaelson didn't like, it was a surprise. So when he finally got the chance to go home and wind down after a long day of playing nice with everyone, he was less than happy to get a phone call from his brother, advising him of a possible threat to everything he had built. Elijah informed him that an old acquaintance, Lucas, was in town, and apparently had been for a few days. Which Klaus did not like

The last time he had seen Lucas, the younger vampire promised to take everything from the hybrid no matter how long it took. Klaus quickly made calls and moved around the city until he discovered that Lucas had spent his last few nights at Sunnie's, a bar on the main strip. As Klaus walked in, he let his eyes scan the room quickly before landing on their intended target. A gentleman sat in the corner, nursing a drink and facing the room. It had been nearly 700 years but Klaus recognized him just the same. He took a deep breath before approaching the table and resting his palms on it as he leaned in. Lucas simply smiled.

"Niklaus, what a surprise to see you here, buddy. It's been awhile," Lucas greeted him, leaning back in his chair and lifting his glass up to his lips. Klaus just maintained eye contact a few more moments, trying his hardest not to make a scene but honestly just feeling over the whole situation.

"What are you doing in my city, Lucas?" Klaus asked, feeling his irritation grow as the other man just shrugged and feigned innocence that he had no idea Klaus was here. "If you're here to attempt to make good on your threat, you need to know that I will drop you before you can even make a move," he snapped, pushing back off the table gently so that he was standing. Lucas just chuckled a bit and shook his head.

"It's been this many years and you're still thinking about that old squabble?" he asked, setting the glass down and standing to his feet. "Why would I have any interest in tearing your life to pieces, it's not like you burned my family home to the ground with my brother inside of it. Less than 300 miles from this very bar, might I add." Lucas finished speaking, voice grim and mouth in a hard line. Klaus narrowed his eyes and scowled, shifting his stance forward to respond with a warning before Elijah appeared, sliding between them quickly and speaking lowly.

"Gentlemen, need I remind you this is a public place. Perhaps any issues should be taken elsewhere," he suggested, looking between the two. Klaus just clenched his jaw tight, knowing that Elijah was right, but also wanting nothing more than to rip Lucas' throat out right there over the table.

"No problem here, mate, just enjoying a drink and the nightlife," Lucas responded to Elijah before glancing back to the hybrid and lifting an eyebrow.

Klaus poked a finger hard into the younger vampire's chest as he leaned across the table. "Cause any trouble and my brother won't be able to save you, I'll tear your limbs off in the middle of Bourbon street at noon," he warned before turning and walking towards the door.

As he neared the exit, a very familiar and equally overwhelming scent surrounded him. "Guess who?" a melodic voice spoke as a pair of warm hands covered his eyes from the back

It took Klaus all of one whole second to identify the voice and he turned, looking down at the culprit. Caroline pushed her lips together in a pout and leaned against his chest. "You didn't guess, no fair," she whined. The smell of whiskey on her breath and the light flush of her cheeks was enough to let him know she already had her fair share of drinks.

"Caroline," he paused, glancing to the right to see Lucas still standing by Elijah, but his eyes were trained across the room to where Caroline stood before Klaus, in her deep red dress and matching heels, curls cascading down past her shoulders. Klaus reached out and grabbed her arm gently, tugging her to his side and shifting his back to Lucas so he could no longer see her.