Bonkai (2 chapters)

Chapter 1: Aren't you hungry?

Tears are running

They're all running down your breast

And your friends, baby

They treat you like a guest

Don't you want somebody to love?

Don't you need somebody to love?

Wouldn't you love somebody to love?

- Jefferson Airplane; Somebody to love

I lose it in my solitude

you can't fall in love with tombs.

- Jade Lawhon; sounds from the tomb.

Elena is alive and Enzo is dead.

It should be the happiest days, weeks to follow. Hope is restored! Your best friend is back! The love of your life is dead! Body and soul obliterated to nothing!

In the quietest of nights, Bonnie forces her mind to think about the timbre of Enzo's voice, not the charring of his skin under fire. Calls to mind the lilt of a song, not what the weight of his corpse feels like.

No one remembers, but she had to pick up his cold, bloodied heart. Once extracted, vampire's hearts turn dull and cavernous. She held him and his heart in her arms, sobbing until Damon came to get her.

In the quietest of nights all Bonnie has is photos, voice notes, videos - digital archives of their love.

She would tease him for how archaic he was and his initial aversion to technology, he would simply laugh with her and kiss her until they both forgot what was so funny in the first place.

'How are you holding up?' seems to be the only way her friends can greet her. Like she's an old widow or dowager.

Bonnie is the thick dark fog that marrs their seemingly happy lives.

The evil is defeated. Everyone gets their happy ending, thanks to her.

She should feel proud. But she's left with nothing - dead family and three empty houses to cry in.

Caroline comes back to Mystic Falls with the girls and of course, she can't face her. When she looks at her friend all she sees is the man that killed Enzo.

"When I see the life you have, the kids, I feel so alone I want to die." A confession let slip lifetimes ago, come back to haunt her all over again.

I don't want to die, I want to live. I want to live so bad. She thinks. She's fought tooth and nail for the right, the desire to live. That's all Enzo wanted for her too.

So she will not turn the hate inwards. But she can't blame a dead man (it's not in good taste).

She needs someone to pour all the blame on like hot lava, burning in her misery and grief until they are unrecognizable.

When she struggles to sleep, the ascendent burns in her mind's eye. It's somewhere in the attic above her bedroom. She tosses and turns in bed, trying not to picture it melting a hole through her ceiling, and falling into her lap.