Chapter 13: The Stray

???: "It just doesn't make any sense. Copperhead was under total lockdown, with multiple security systems. Nobody should have been able to get in, and the autopsy ruled out a suicide. Whoever did this, was strong enough to overcome Copperhead's... ability."

Ozpin's hands were pressed together, his index fingers resting against his forehead as he examined a holographic photo that was being projected on his desk. The police chief had forwarded the crime scene photos of Copperhead's mysterious death.

Ozpin: "Thank you for alerting me, Chief. Please keep me informed of your investigation. I'll see what I can do on my end."

The call ended and Ozpin let out a frustrated sigh, pulling up the autopsy report for Copperhead's death. The report states that cause of death was violent contortion of the victim's neck, completely shattering the vertebrae in the neck.

Ozpin: "Cutting off loose ends, are we? Or perhaps, you lost your patience with your pawn. What's your endgame?"

As he muttered to himself, Ozpin swiped his hand across the projected images, bringing up a video recording that began to play. The video was the security footage of the docks, showing the moment Arlo transformed into a large wolf before tearing Copperhead to shreds.

Ozpin: "And why is Arlo in the middle of all of this?"

Meanwhile...

Arlo, Orellia, and the rest of team RWBY walked through the streets of Vale, admiring all the decorations that store owners were placing in preparation of the Vytal Festival. The girls stopped for a moment to watch the shopkeep hang a welcome sign in front of his store, to greet the visitors from other kingdoms.

Weiss ran ahead of the group, giving a wide smile as she took in the sight of decorations.

Weiss: "The Vytal Festival! Oh, this is absolutely wonderful!"

Ruby: "I don't think I've ever seen you smile this much, Weiss. It's kinda weirding me out..."

Weiss: "How could you not smile? A festival dedicated to the cultures of the world! There will be dances! Parades! A tournament! Oh, the amount of planning and organization that goes into this event is simply breathtaking!"

Arlo and Orellia exchanged a look, the two of them having placed a wager on the reason why Weiss would willingly postpone her study time to head to Vale.

Orellia: "Well? Pay up, bro."

Arlo: "Lucky guess..."

Orellia playfully stuck out her tongue as Arlo handed over a few lien, as Ruby glanced at the two.

Ruby: "What was that about?"

Orellia: "Hmm? Oh, nothing. Just a friendly little wager, that I won!"

Arlo: "Yeah, yeah. Keep this up, and I might make you walk home."

Orellia: "Oh, come on Arlo! You wouldn't do that to your little sister... would you?"

Arlo smirked in response, deciding to remain silent as the group began to follow after Weiss, while causing Orellia to start worrying about the threat. Yang had her arms crossed behind her head, as she let out a long sigh.

Yang: "You really know how to take a good thing and make it sound boring."

Weiss: "Quiet, you!"